Kathy

Default Using Control Toolbar

Two questions:

1) How do I add check boxes to items? I see the check box on the Control
Toolbar but how do I add them to cells? Does the worksheet need to be
protected first?

2) There is a drop down list of items already in a cell on the spreadsheet.
It is not visible until one clicks the cell. Then you see the arrow and the
list. I would like to get into the list to put a value at the top that says
"choose an option" AND have that option show so that people know to click the
cell. Again, do I need to protect the worksheet?

Thanks very much,
Kathy

controls like check boxes and combo boxes cannot be
assigned to cells. they sit on top of the sheet. to get
them on the sheet simple click the icon on the tool bar
then click a place on the sheet and drag right and down.
the contol's "size" depend on how much you drag.
once on the sheet, right click the control. click and set
properties. you may also assign code.

1) How do I add check boxes to items? I see the check

box on the Control
Toolbar but how do I add them to cells? Does the

worksheet need to be
protected first?

2) There is a drop down list of items already in a cell

on the spreadsheet.
It is not visible until one clicks the cell. Then you see

the arrow and the
list. I would like to get into the list to put a value

at the top that says
"choose an option" AND have that option show so that

people know to click the
cell. Again, do I need to protect the worksheet?

Thanks very much,
Kathy
.

Dave Peterson

#1. If you're using lots of checkboxes, you may want to use the checkboxes from
the Forms toolbar. They look alike, but I've found the Forms version a little
easier to work with.

Show the toolbar of your choice.
click on the checkbox
click where you want the topleft corner of the checkbox to be
drag to the bottom right corner.
Tada!
(Don't protect the sheet before you add them.)

or....

One more option:

Maybe just give the cells a custom format.

Format the cells by:
selecting them
format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:

alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

You can just see if the cell is empty.

#2. It sounds like that cell was set up to use Data|Validation.

That list could have been typed into a dialog or someone could have used a range
somewhere else to help out.

In either case, you should read some data|Validation tips at Debra Dalgleish's
site to get familiar:

And you don't want to have the worksheet protected while you're doing this
stuff.

But you may want to protect the worksheet when you're done with the development.

--

Dave Peterson