Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help a newb....

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure which would be best. I am
trying to complete a spreadsheet for work, and am a complete excel
rookie. I'd -really- appreciate some help. I'm sure these are basic
questions for you guys/gals:

We are tracking some metrics in a spreadsheet. In the cells where I
have the scores, I would like to:
1. Next to the actual score, have the percentage value of the score
show as well. So if their score was 10 out of 20 (the 20 value is in a
cell above as a numeric title, so can reference that), I want '50%' to
show next to the 10 value. Maybe I need to create an extra column next
to the scores? Or can it be shown in the same cell?

2. If the score is below a certain value percentage, like 50, I'd like
the cell to highlight red.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
gibson00
gibson00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36231

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm going to make some assumptions here.

A1=10
B1=20

So to get the percentage, in C1 type "=A1/B1" and then click the %
button on formatting toolbar at the top of the page.

To get the cell to change colour, have a look at
http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=560169

--
MartinShort

Software Tester & Musician
MartinShort's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22034
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MartinShort Wrote:
I'm going to make some assumptions here.

A1=10
B1=20

So to get the percentage, in C1 type "=A1/B1" and then click the %
button on formatting toolbar at the top of the page.

To get the cell to change colour, have a look at
http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=560169

Thanks for the reply.
I do know how to calculate the percent, but was wondering if there was
a way to show both the actual score, and the percent, in the same
cell.
So if the metric/test were out of 20, and they scored a 10, I'd want
the cell to read:
10 (50%)

Is that possible?

Thanks!

--
gibson00
gibson00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36231
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hmmm. Yes there is. Continuing from before, in D1 type

Code:
--------------------
=A1 & " (" & C1 & "%)"
--------------------

Then hide column C1

--
MartinShort

Software Tester & Musician
MartinShort's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22034
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I use the conditional formatting for the color change, I get the
drop down boxes, and choose:
"Cell Value Is"
"Less Than"

And then for the formula, I try D4/2. I also tried $D$4/2.
I'm basically trying to say if less than 50%. Neither works, it always
comes back as true even if its not.

To clarify, all of row '4' contains the possible scores for each task.
Then going down the chart (rows 5 onward), you get the individual
scores for each task. Like:

Column D E F G H

Row
4 20 15 20 15 20

5 12 10 8 7 17
6 8 13 14 12 7
7 16 12 13 11 9

--
gibson00
gibson00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36231
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, I can get the highlighting to work for a single cell, and possibly a
single column, but I can't seem to highlight all the scores and insert
one formula to handle them all, ASSUMING that all the scores are not
out of 20, so they each need to reference their own 'out of'
score....:(

--
gibson00
gibson00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36231
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi sorry for the delay - lunch proved even more important!

OK - the answer lies in use of the formula part of conditional
formatting.

So your columns now look like this:

A1 = *9*
B1 = *20*
C1 = *A1/B1*
D1 = *=A1&" ("&C1&"%)"*

Open up the Conditional Formatting dialogue box for D1 and change Cell
Value to Formula. In the Formula condition type

=IF(C1<50,TRUE,FALSE)
Now select Red as the conditional format.

Copy this formula down your entire column (including formatting) and
hide column C as before.

HTH

Martin

--