Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sam Sam is offline

Default Saving Document in Excel

Why does excel ask if i want to save a document when i have made no changes?
it happens only with certain workbooks, not all of them. Do I need to change
my settings?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ian Ian is offline

Two possibilities (there may be others)
1. If there is a macro which runs when the file is opened, this effectively
changes the file, even if all the data remains the same.
2. If the file was created with an older version of Excel, you will be
prompted to save the file. I think in this case the message box tells you
why.

--
Ian
--
"Sam" wrote in message
Why does excel ask if i want to save a document when i have made no
changes?
it happens only with certain workbooks, not all of them. Do I need to
change
my settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sam Sam is offline

I think it is#2. it does not give a reason in the message box however. will
the save message go away if I paste the doc conents in a new worksheeet?

"Sam" wrote in message
Why does excel ask if i want to save a document when i have made no
changes?
it happens only with certain workbooks, not all of them. Do I need to
change
my settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is also the case where your sheet contains volatile functions, such
as:

Indirect
Rand
Cell
Offset
Now
Today
Info

These calculate every time you hit <Enter.

--

HTH,

RD

"Sam" wrote in message
Why does excel ask if i want to save a document when i have made no
changes?
it happens only with certain workbooks, not all of them. Do I need to
change
my settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sam

There are several Volatile Functions.

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

Any one or more of these would cause the workbook changes.

You can do a Find for these or hit CTRL + `(backquote above Tab key) to toggle
View Formulas on and do a look search by eyeball.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:10:02 -0700, Sam wrote:

Why does excel ask if i want to save a document when i have made no changes?
it happens only with certain workbooks, not all of them. Do I need to change
my settings?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

<<<"These calculate every time you hit <Enter."

I *don't* believe that I typed that!<g

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Sam" wrote in message
Why does excel ask if i want to save a document when i have made no
changes?
it happens only with certain workbooks, not all of them. Do I need to
change
my settings?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It will not be #2 if the message box does not appear stating that "this file was
created with an older version of Excel".

Copying to another file will just take the problem over there.

See other answers in this thread.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP