Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default HOW CAN I CONVERT A NUM IN WORDS (EXCEL)

Please tell me how I can Convert a value in words.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe I got this code from the VBA developers Handbook by Ken Getz & Mike
Gilbert, the 1997 or so version of the book:

Function ConvertCurrencyToEnglish(ByVal MyNumber)
Dim Temp
Dim Dollars, Cents
Dim DecimalPlace, Count

ReDim Place(9) As String
Place(2) = " Thousand "
Place(3) = " Million "
Place(4) = " Billion "
Place(5) = " Trillion "

' Convert MyNumber to a string, trimming extra spaces.
MyNumber = Trim(Str(MyNumber))

' Find decimal place.
DecimalPlace = InStr(MyNumber, ".")

' If we find decimal place...
If DecimalPlace 0 Then
' Convert cents
Temp = left(Mid(MyNumber, DecimalPlace + 1) & "00", 2)
Cents = ConvertTens(Temp)

' Strip off cents from remainder to convert.
MyNumber = Trim(left(MyNumber, DecimalPlace - 1))
End If

Count = 1
Do While MyNumber < ""
' Convert last 3 digits of MyNumber to English dollars.
Temp = ConvertHundreds(Right(MyNumber, 3))
If Temp < "" Then Dollars = Temp & Place(Count) & Dollars
If Len(MyNumber) 3 Then
' Remove last 3 converted digits from MyNumber.
MyNumber = left(MyNumber, Len(MyNumber) - 3)
Else
MyNumber = ""
End If
Count = Count + 1
Loop

' Clean up dollars.
Select Case Dollars
Case ""
Dollars = "No Dollars"
Case "One"
Dollars = "One Dollar"
Case Else
Dollars = Dollars & " Dollars"
End Select

' Clean up cents.
Select Case Cents
Case ""
Cents = " And No Cents"
Case "One"
Cents = " And One Cent"
Case Else
Cents = " And " & Cents & " Cents"
End Select

ConvertCurrencyToEnglish = Dollars & Cents
End Function

Private Function ConvertDigit(ByVal MyDigit)
Select Case Val(MyDigit)
Case 1: ConvertDigit = "One"
Case 2: ConvertDigit = "Two"
Case 3: ConvertDigit = "Three"
Case 4: ConvertDigit = "Four"
Case 5: ConvertDigit = "Five"
Case 6: ConvertDigit = "Six"
Case 7: ConvertDigit = "Seven"
Case 8: ConvertDigit = "Eight"
Case 9: ConvertDigit = "Nine"
Case Else: ConvertDigit = ""
End Select

End Function

Private Function ConvertHundreds(ByVal MyNumber)
Dim Result As String

' Exit if there is nothing to convert.
If Val(MyNumber) = 0 Then Exit Function

' Append leading zeros to number.
MyNumber = Right("000" & MyNumber, 3)

' Do we have a hundreds place digit to convert?
If left(MyNumber, 1) < "0" Then
Result = ConvertDigit(left(MyNumber, 1)) & " Hundred "
End If

' Do we have a tens place digit to convert?
If Mid(MyNumber, 2, 1) < "0" Then
Result = Result & ConvertTens(Mid(MyNumber, 2))
Else
' If not, then convert the ones place digit.
Result = Result & ConvertDigit(Mid(MyNumber, 3))
End If

ConvertHundreds = Trim(Result)
End Function

Private Function ConvertTens(ByVal MyTens)
Dim Result As String

' Is value between 10 and 19?
If Val(left(MyTens, 1)) = 1 Then
Select Case Val(MyTens)
Case 10: Result = "Ten"
Case 11: Result = "Eleven"
Case 12: Result = "Twelve"
Case 13: Result = "Thirteen"
Case 14: Result = "Fourteen"
Case 15: Result = "Fifteen"
Case 16: Result = "Sixteen"
Case 17: Result = "Seventeen"
Case 18: Result = "Eighteen"
Case 19: Result = "Nineteen"
Case Else
End Select
Else
' .. otherwise it's between 20 and 99.
Select Case Val(left(MyTens, 1))
Case 2: Result = "Twenty "
Case 3: Result = "Thirty "
Case 4: Result = "Forty "
Case 5: Result = "Fifty "
Case 6: Result = "Sixty "
Case 7: Result = "Seventy "
Case 8: Result = "Eighty "
Case 9: Result = "Ninety "
Case Else
End Select

' Convert ones place digit.
Result = Result & ConvertDigit(Right(MyTens, 1))
End If

ConvertTens = Result
End Function

--
Kevin Backmann

Please tell me how I can Convert a value in words.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

That function returns for:
9999999999999990 Nine Dollars And Ninety Nine Cents
0.123 No Dollars And Twelve Cents
-1 One Dollar And No Cents
20.123 Twenty Dollars And Twelve Cents
-20.123 Hundred Twenty Dollars And Twelve Cents
1.01 One Dollar And One Cent
1000001.01 One Million One Dollars And One Cent

That means:
a) It does not check for boundaries (too big numbers)
b) It cannot handle negative numbers
c) It does not tell anything about rounding

I suggest to take my function spellnumber at www.sulprobil.com

Regards,
Bernd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc