Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Look up and total

I am putting together a budget sheet for a friend, I would like to
combine the budget template from MS's website and the Check book ledger
template. I have added a category column to the ledger sheet. I want to
budget sheet to search for these categories and bring back a total.
Say, they have 3 entries for groceries, I want the budget sheet to
total these three entries.

How do I write a formula that totals all the lines that say groceries
in it. I have too many categories for a large if statment.

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!

Try this:

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"groceries",B1:B10)

If A1:A10 contains the entry: groceries, the corresponding cell(s) in B1:B10
will be summed.

You can use a cell to hold the criteria:

C1 = groceries

=SUMIF(A1:A10,C1,B1:B10)

Biff

oups.com...