Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I have a question about adding information to a list of items that have cells linked to another worksheet.

If I editing the list by either using copy or cut the entire row and use
"insert" the cut or copied rows the linked references stay correct but if I
use "insert" to add blank rows the link cell reference get all messed up.
Is there a way around this other than to not do it?

Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I have a question about adding information to a list of items that

I suspect that your links are using absolute addressing - they have $ symbols
in the cell references like $A$1 or maybe just A$1. Remove the $ symbols
from addresses that can change and things should be alright. You can use
Edit | Replace and put $ in the Find entry and leave the Replace entry empty.
You can select the cells with formulas that need changes like that all at
once.

Be careful, you may change a reference that should not when rows are
inserted or deleted. For example, lets say in C2 you have a tax rate like
8.75% and things in column A are multiplied by that tax rate in column B with
formulas like:
=A1 * $C$2
=A2 * $C$2
you will want to keep the $ in the $C$2 part of the formula. If you
identify those types of references you can change them back after removing
the $ from everything with Edit | Replace again.