Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert a column of numbers from positive to negative in Excel

Excel 2003. We would like to copy a column of numbers and then convert the
whole column (each number in the column) from positive to negative. Can this
be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Type -1 in a cell, then copy that cell.

Then select the range of numbers to change.

Menu EditPasteSpecial

Click Multiply, then OK

Clear the cell with -1

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"JRoseen" wrote in message
Excel 2003. We would like to copy a column of numbers and then convert the
whole column (each number in the column) from positive to negative. Can

this
be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, copy and paste your data to create your new column. Then, in any
blank cell, enter -1. Copy this cell. Then select your new column of data
and Paste Special. Select "Multiply" in the Paste Special dialog box. Click
OK. Your data should now be converted from positive to negative (or vice
versa). You can then delete the -1 you entered earlier.

HTH,
Elkar

"JRoseen" wrote:

Excel 2003. We would like to copy a column of numbers and then convert the
whole column (each number in the column) from positive to negative. Can this
be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, JRoseen,

=a2*-1

copy it down

or insert -1 in the new column copy the original and paste special values
multiply

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"JRoseen" escreveu:

Excel 2003. We would like to copy a column of numbers and then convert the
whole column (each number in the column) from positive to negative. Can this
be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I know this has been answered but you can do this in one step by copying the
column and then paste special and select SUBTRACT. The cells you are pasting
to, need to be blank.