Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Getting the cell formula

How do I reference the formula of a cell to apply it to other cells, and not
the resulting value of the cell?

I am using VLOOKUP so far but am missing this one peice of the puzzle. The
formula will also need to reference other cells relative to the initial cell
it is stored in.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Based on what you've posted, if you only need a few formulas, I think you may
be able to use "named formulas".

Try this example:

Select cell C1 on Sheet1

From the Excel main menu:
<insert<name<define
Names in workbook: MyFormula_1
Refers to: =Sheet1!A1*Sheet1!B1
Click the [ADD] button

Names in workbook: MyFormula_2
Refers to: =Sheet1!A1+Sheet1!B1
Click the [ADD] button
Click the [OK] button

(Note that the above references are relative, NOT absolute))

A1: 10
B1: 20
C1: =IF(A1<=50,MyFormula_1,MyFormula_2)

MyFormula_1 will be used.
Change A1 to 51 and MyFormula_2 will be used.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Daiv" wrote:

How do I reference the formula of a cell to apply it to other cells, and not
the resulting value of the cell?

I am using VLOOKUP so far but am missing this one peice of the puzzle. The
formula will also need to reference other cells relative to the initial cell
it is stored in.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is my earlier post. i keep getting a half answer then it gets lost in
the list and no one finishes helping me. I hope i can get it this time!

I am using VLookup to have a formula change on my spreadsheet based on the
value of the data validation list that is selected.

How do I have the cells populate with the actual formula and proper cell
references instead of the value of the cell holding the formula (which is
currently "#VALUE!" because it is meant just as a holder, not a cell that
needs a proper vale)

Some Background:
The spreadsheet is designed to calculate water discharge in rivers. A
series of measurements are taken then averaged for the final result. To
determine the velocity of the water at each measurement point the formula
will need to reference the Time and Revelution cells for that measurement.
Each set of measurements is done by using a single Measureing Meter, for wich
the formula is different for the various meters. I would like to have it
so that when a user selects the meter used from the Data Validation list I
created, It automatically populates the velocity cell for each measurement
point with the propper formula, maintaining the relative cell references.

Currently I can only get it to poulate with the final Value of the formula
cell it finds through VLOOKUP.

Meter list is at B5, The formula will populate around 20 measurement points
(varies per site)

Thanks for all your help!!
Daiv.

"Daiv" wrote:

How do I reference the formula of a cell to apply it to other cells, and not
the resulting value of the cell?

I am using VLOOKUP so far but am missing this one peice of the puzzle. The
formula will also need to reference other cells relative to the initial cell
it is stored in.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I got rid of the vlookup and used your Idea for defining the formulas. I
then used a series of IF's to determine the formula to use.

I was thinking the data validation list might be more efficient and easier
to update (adding/deleting options) but this will work too.

Thanks for the idea!!

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Based on what you've posted, if you only need a few formulas, I think you may
be able to use "named formulas".

Try this example:

Select cell C1 on Sheet1

From the Excel main menu:

"Daiv" wrote:

How do I reference the formula of a cell to apply it to other cells, and not
the resulting value of the cell?

I am using VLOOKUP so far but am missing this one peice of the puzzle. The
formula will also need to reference other cells relative to the initial cell
it is stored in.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the feedback, Daiv....I'm glad you could use that.

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Based on what you've posted, if you only need a few formulas, I think you may
be able to use "named formulas".

Try this example:

Select cell C1 on Sheet1

From the Excel main menu: