Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Generating Word docs from Excel

In excel how do I send data from fields to fill in spaces in a word document
template? I would also like to create a button in excel so that this can be
done easily.
I want to make buttons that can be clicked in excel that will enter a large
amount of specified text into the word document.
I cannot figure out how to do any of this.
Could someone give me examples of how to do these things?
It would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

One example. You have to set a reference to Word as the following code uses
early binding (instead of late binding). In VBA, click Tools/References -
check the Microsoft Word Library. In the word template, I usually set up
placeholders, such as %NAME%, then use a search/replace operation to replace
these placeholders with data from Excel. Below, instead of hardcoding the
replacement text as I have done, you could refer to a particular value in one
of your Excel worksheets, such as

Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value

Sub Test()
Dim wdApp As Word.Application
Dim wdDoc As Word.Document

Set wdApp = New Word.Application
Set wdDoc = wdApp.Documents.Open("I:\Excel\Test.doc")

With wdDoc
With .Content.Find
.Text = "%NAME%"
.Replacement.Text = "JEFF"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
.Close savechanges:=True
End With

Set wdDoc = Nothing
Set wdApp = Nothing

End Sub

"Jadedshade" wrote:

In excel how do I send data from fields to fill in spaces in a word document
template? I would also like to create a button in excel so that this can be
done easily.
I want to make buttons that can be clicked in excel that will enter a large
amount of specified text into the word document.
I cannot figure out how to do any of this.
Could someone give me examples of how to do these things?
It would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You say you are working with a Word document template. I assume that this
means you have a standard Word document that needs to be updated with data
from your Excel spreadsheet to create a new, unique Word document?

Why not approach it from a different direction - that of having Word get
information from Excel? Excel can be used as the data source for a Word Mail
Merge. You could create the new Word document from a template. If you are
going to do this often, you could modify your template to contain the Mail
Merge field indicators for repeated use.

If this all sounds confusing, I think this Excel 'tutorial' workbook will
explain. It shows how to do this starting with a blank document - but during
the process you are offered the choice to start with blank document or
template, you'd just choose the template at that point. You'd need to set up
a separate sheet in the workbook to grab the data to be placed into the Word
document in the row layout that is needed in a Mail Merge. I think you'll
understand when you look at this:
http://www.jlathamsite.com/Teach/Wor...DataSource.xls

"Jadedshade" wrote:

In excel how do I send data from fields to fill in spaces in a word document
template? I would also like to create a button in excel so that this can be
done easily.
I want to make buttons that can be clicked in excel that will enter a large
amount of specified text into the word document.
I cannot figure out how to do any of this.
Could someone give me examples of how to do these things?
It would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

would work much better to change

..Close savechanges:=True

..SaveAs "YourNewFileName"
..Close

If you have a lot of data that goes into different places in Word template,
you should probably check into JLatham's mail merge example.

"Jadedshade" wrote:

In excel how do I send data from fields to fill in spaces in a word document
template? I would also like to create a button in excel so that this can be
done easily.
I want to make buttons that can be clicked in excel that will enter a large
amount of specified text into the word document.
I cannot figure out how to do any of this.
Could someone give me examples of how to do these things?
It would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

JLatham

Your document was helpful, but I'm running into a different problem. I'm
actually trying to create labels from an Excel document. I get to the point
of merging to a new document, and it only prints one of the records. I can't
get it to print multiple different labels. It wants to repeat the same
record. Do you know how to do this?

Please help...

"Jadedshade" wrote:

In excel how do I send data from fields to fill in spaces in a word document
template? I would also like to create a button in excel so that this can be
done easily.
I want to make buttons that can be clicked in excel that will enter a large
amount of specified text into the word document.
I cannot figure out how to do any of this.
Could someone give me examples of how to do these things?
It would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't do mail merges often, I'll have to check out some of the possible
causes of this. Maybe another who does it often who knows right off the top
of their head why it would only print one. It may be the process your are
using also, that is, you might be missing a step in your process to print
more than one label.

"Jadedshade" wrote:

In excel how do I send data from fields to fill in spaces in a word document
template? I would also like to create a button in excel so that this can be
done easily.
I want to make buttons that can be clicked in excel that will enter a large
amount of specified text into the word document.
I cannot figure out how to do any of this.
Could someone give me examples of how to do these things?
It would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My company just switched from Office NT to Office 2003. So, the other users
don't know how to do this, either. I've looked through Office Online as much
as I could, but haven't found an answer yet. Thanks for looking into this!

Doug

"Jadedshade" wrote:

In excel how do I send data from fields to fill in spaces in a word document
template? I would also like to create a button in excel so that this can be
done easily.
I want to make buttons that can be clicked in excel that will enter a large
amount of specified text into the word document.
I cannot figure out how to do any of this.
Could someone give me examples of how to do these things?
It would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pjm pjm is offline

I'm usually a question asker but .. since it doesnt seem anyone has
suggested this .. It seems you have not completed your merge .. step
4: Arrange your labels .. Replicate labels, create your first label &
click update labels.. All the labels after the first one should
include: «Next Record»

--
pjm
pjm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36132

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm inclined to agree with you - goes with what I said before about
"something in the process' not being right. Also your comment about using
<<Next Record is something that was going thru my head when I wrote that
(which I haven't done yet).

Basically I think you've probably solved the problem and I'm going to treat
this as a kind of dead issue unles blasds78 replies and tells us that your
suggestions haven't cured his/her problem.