Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sportshistorybuff

Default How to find the correct program to download an .xls attachment

I have received via e-mail an attachment which my computer cannot open without

knowing the program which created. I have tried following the icon which is

supposed to look up this information but have no idea what to do on the next

screen. It is a .xls attachment.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

..xls files should be owned by excel (if you own excel).

Excel is not free. You have to pay for it either when you're buying the pc or
after. It doesn't come with the computer.

The free viewer (no changes allowed) from Microsoft:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/of...347961033.aspx

and the older version if they can't run the one above:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/xlViewer.exe
(One line in your browser)

or...

Maybe a free spreadsheet program would work:
http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

======
If you own excel, maybe it's just a problem with the windows registry getting
mixed up.

You can reset the file associations via:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

The extension .XLS indicates this is an MS Excel file and you need Excel on your
computer.

If you don't have Excel installed but just want to view or print the Excel file
you can

Download and install the Excel Viewer from....

http://office.microsoft.com/download.../xlviewer.aspx

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 05:47:02 -0700, sportshistorybuff
wrote:

I have received via e-mail an attachment which my computer cannot open without

knowing the program which created. I have tried following the icon which is

supposed to look up this information but have no idea what to do on the next

screen. It is a .xls attachment.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP