Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Yep

Default how do i open excel as an xls document from a web link instead of.

I have a web page with a link to an excel file in xls format. When I open
the document it opens in html format. How do I cause the document to open as
a true excel workbook from the web link?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office
Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059

This is a PC setting. If you're sharing with others, you'll have to do it on
their PCs, too.

--

Dave Peterson