Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mrwawa

Default Way around row limitation

Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet with the dimensions 530 columns by 598 rows. It
is saved as a .wk1 file and I use a program called PCOrd to open it
properly. However, I want to save the file as a text file for
statistical analysis, but am unable to do so in PCOrd.

Any ideas how I can get around this and save as a text file?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

excel 2003 and below only supports 256 columns.

But the beta version of xl2007 supports 16k columns.

Maybe you could join the beta test group and save your data using xl2007???

======
I know nothing about PCOrd, but can you open the file there and then just
copy|paste into NotePad to get your text file?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham

According to a document on this page:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/local/handbook...NG%20PCord.doc

you can export directly from PCOrd to a .txt file. The problem is that you
aren't going to read it back into any current version of Excel (other than
2007) without modifying/preprocessing it first because of the large number of
columns involved.

An internet search on simply PCord may provide more help?

"mrwawa" wrote:

Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet with the dimensions 530 columns by 598 rows. It
is saved as a .wk1 file and I use a program called PCOrd to open it
properly. However, I want to save the file as a text file for
statistical analysis, but am unable to do so in PCOrd.

Any ideas how I can get around this and save as a text file?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mrwawa

Joining the beta test group may be the way to go. Thanks for the
advice. Sadly, PCOrd won't allow me to cut and paste the file.

mrwawa wrote:

Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet with the dimensions 530 columns by 598 rows. It
is saved as a .wk1 file and I use a program called PCOrd to open it
properly. However, I want to save the file as a text file for
statistical analysis, but am unable to do so in PCOrd.

Any ideas how I can get around this and save as a text file?

Thanks in advance

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mrwawa

I can export the text file from PCOrd, however the data is in list
format and not in a matrix format. I need it in a matrix format for
some of the analyses I need to do. At the present time I can get it
into R and am working on converting it to a matrix, with the first
column of the list being the row names, the second column being the
column names and the third column of the list populating the matrix.

Now my question is more an R question than an Excel.

Thanks again.

Wade