Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The Toasterman

Default Data Sort

I have two rows of data that need to be sorted. The data includes text &
number strings & I need to text to remain at the top after the sort.

Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

Do you mean that you have two columns of data? If so, are these columns
A and B? Which column do you want to sort on? Does this column contain
a mixture of numbers and text?

One way to do this is to use a helper column (column C), whereby if
there is a number in column A (assuming you want to sort on this
column) you can change this to "zzzz"&number.The following formula in
C2:

=IF(ISNUMBER(A2),"zzzz"&TEXT(A2,"000000"),A2)

can be copied down for as many items as you have in column A, and is
suitable for numbers up to 1,000,000. Then you can sort on column C and
delete column C after the sort.

Hope this helps.

Pete

The Toasterman wrote:
I have two rows of data that need to be sorted. The data includes text &
number strings & I need to text to remain at the top after the sort.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The Toasterman

Yes it is two columns of data contained in a workbook.

It pulls through data from another sheet & not all cells are filled. Those
not filled show as 0 & I need the 0 to remain at the bottom after I have sort
all the remaining text in column B into alphabetical order.

Does this make sense.

The Toasterman wrote:
I have two rows of data that need to be sorted. The data includes text &
number strings & I need to text to remain at the top after the sort.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
samprince

Go to tools, Options, custom lists.

Type into the Box the First Text?number you want to remain at the top.
then return and add in the second etc. or you can just import them.

Then click Add.

Select the Rows/Column you want to sort.

Data - Sort.

Click Options, (select sort left to right if using rows.)

Also slect the custom list you have made.

ensure the right row/colum to sort by is selected

use ascending.

Should be ok.

--
samprince