Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Moving data from multiple cells to one column

We are currently running an audit of a rather large network, and we
determined that the best way to list the data output would be in an
excel spreadsheet. However, we would like to organize the data by
giving certain types of entries their own columns while remaining in
the same row. I've searched high and low for a method to move data from
single cells in different columns into a single column in one fell
swoop, but have come up short.

x = data of interest
- = other data

What it's like now:
x - - - - - - -
- - - x - - - -
- - - - - - - x

The way we need it to be:
x - - - - - - -
x - - - - - - -
x - - - - - - -

Has anyone been able to do this in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Say your list is from A1 to P6,
And if I understand what you're looking for, you want:
A1, D2, G3, J4, ...etc.
returned down a column.

Try this, and drag down for at least 6 rows:

=INDEX(A$1:P$6,ROWS($1:1),3*ROWS($1:1)-2)

--
HTH,

RD

wrote in message
oups.com...
We are currently running an audit of a rather large network, and we
determined that the best way to list the data output would be in an
excel spreadsheet. However, we would like to organize the data by
giving certain types of entries their own columns while remaining in
the same row. I've searched high and low for a method to move data from
single cells in different columns into a single column in one fell
swoop, but have come up short.

x = data of interest
- = other data

What it's like now:
x - - - - - - -
- - - x - - - -
- - - - - - - x

The way we need it to be:
x - - - - - - -
x - - - - - - -
x - - - - - - -

Has anyone been able to do this in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Forgot to mention ... if the formula is what you're looking for,
All you would have to change would be
A$1:P$6
to your actual range.
The formula will start and end wherever your range reference starts and
ends.

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
Say your list is from A1 to P6,
And if I understand what you're looking for, you want:
A1, D2, G3, J4, ...etc.
returned down a column.

Try this, and drag down for at least 6 rows:

=INDEX(A$1:P$6,ROWS($1:1),3*ROWS($1:1)-2)

--
HTH,

RD

oups.com...