Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Newtonboy

Default Excel database

Hello All,

I am not the best hand at excel, but do recognise the computing power
it holds. I have a scenario with which i need some help. I am a trader,
who buys and sells timber round logs. I receive logs in my log yard and
then i move it to the port and ship it out. Earlier, I had written in
this forum for help with organising log data, and received help for
which i am very grateful. Now, i need some more help....

The situation is something like this. When ever any supplier, offloads
logs in my yard, We cubicate the logs. Volume of the log is calculated
as the average of diameters at either end and length, i.e. we measure
D1, D2, D3 and D4 and take the average of tehse 4 dia's as Average
Diameter. Volume is calculated as pi*r*r*len.

Now, the price of the log depends on the species and the grade. Grade
of the log depends on teh average diameter of teh log. If the Avg Dia
is more than 40 cm it is grade 'A', if it is between 35-40, it is 'B'
and less than that is 'C'.

So, to continue with the situation, once the supplier offloads the logs
in the park, we cubicate and make something called a "Grading sheet' in
excel. The sheet looks something like this:

Supplier: Date: Receipt Note No.:
Species:_
Log No. D1 D2 D3 D4 Length Avg D Volume Price
Value

In the above, Receipt Note No. is teh unique no. given to the
transaction. Log No. is also unique to the log and there will be only 1
log of that no. in the whole yard.

For the above scenario, can somebody pls help on which is the best way
to organise the data. Is excel better or access ?

Also, once i have finished this i want to perform all the mathematical
calculations like average price, material cost etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Newton

--