Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stanley

Default Find in a Grid

I have a grid that has numbers across the top and the same numbers down the
left side. I need to be able to lookup the numbers given by the user and show
the results of the search on the page. I need to have the grid on a hidden
page and the search on the first sheet. I know I could put them into columns
saying something like

colA colB colC
1 1 Yes
1 2 No
1 3 Yes
2 1 Yes
etc...

But you can see how much more work that would be since the grid is already
done. Any ideas?

Stanley
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

Use the INDEX function:

=INDEX('Sheet2'!A1:Z100,A1,B1)

This assumes your table (grid) is located on Sheet2 in cells A1:Z100. Your
user inputs row number into cell A1 and column number into cell B1. Change
these references to fit your needs.

HTH,
Elkar

"Stanley" wrote:

I have a grid that has numbers across the top and the same numbers down the
left side. I need to be able to lookup the numbers given by the user and show
the results of the search on the page. I need to have the grid on a hidden
page and the search on the first sheet. I know I could put them into columns
saying something like

colA colB colC
1 1 Yes
1 2 No
1 3 Yes
2 1 Yes
etc...

But you can see how much more work that would be since the grid is already
done. Any ideas?

Stanley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stanley

That worked perfectly. Thanks Ardus.

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

Say you search criteria are in A1 (number across) and A2 (number down)

=INDEX(Sheet2!A2:C4,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A2:A4,0),MATCH (A1,Sheet2:A1:C1,0))

HTH
--
AP

news: ...