Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rima

Default Excel File Size Reduction Tool

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rima

Thanks Gord,
I am able to do it, yet I was wondering if there is an actual tool that does
that. When I searched on Google, I found that Sobolsoft has a tool. Yet due
to the fact that all of the trial versions need you to actually sign up and
pay to use it, I am reluctant to buy it without trying it.
I want a tool that our users are able to use so they can fix this process
themselves.

Rima

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

I have no knowledge of any third-party tool such as you describe.

However, I did download the Sobolsoft Excel file reducer setup.exe and ran it.

If you just keep clicking No to the "do you want to register etc." you can get
the file reducer to work.

It dropped the sizes on a couple of workbooks I had set up with artificially
large used ranges.

Sobolsoft deleted all the unused rows and columns on sheets, which Debra's code
does.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rima

Thanks Gord,

I did try it and the tool reduced the size of the file temendously. I am
just curious, In a workbook where would the code be placed? Is there a
certain page which would affect all of them? or would it have to be done page
for page.

Rima

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Rima

The code from Debra's site would be copy/pasted to a General Module in the
workbook or your Personal.xls if you want to have the macro available for all
open workbooks.

First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project by name and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Run the macro by going to ToolMacroMacros.

You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo.

To place a button on a Toolbar...ToolsCustomizeCommandsMacros.

Drag the smiley-face button to your Toolbar.

Right-click and "Assign Macro". Select TOGGLECENTERACROSS and OK

Note: when you right-click you will also see "Change Button Image". There are
a bunch of button faces to pick from if you don't like smiley.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rima

Very cool Gord!
One last thing. I've noticed that both the tool and the programming changed
on the workbook. Is there a workaround or should we just go in and manually
fix it?
Rima

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Rima

Don't understand your description so the fix is not apparent to me.

Please, what is "the tool and the programming changed on the workbook"

Also note in my instructions I used a canned response which had the
TOGGLECENTERACROSS macro name.

I should have used Debra's macro name.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rima

Sorry Gord,

my fault for not making myself clear.
When I ran the sobolsoft tool, and the file size was reduced, the formatting
on the sheets were changed.
As well, when I used the programming that Debra had, the formatting was
changed as well, the same way as the tool did on the worksheets.
Is there a work around or will this of course change some of the formatting
of the worksheets (such as: if the cells all the way across and down on the
worksheet where filled in grey, when the macros were run, the grey turned
into white under the charts that were there)

Rima

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Ok.

See what you mean.

By deleting the unused rows, the formatting is lost and your gray rows/columns
are back to default.

That's the price you pay for cleaning up the unused range.

Debra warns about the loss of formatting at her website.

Your original need was to reduce the size of the workbook.....remember?

If you want the formatting, you have the workbook size.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rima

Debra Dalgleish has VBA code to reset the used range on each worksheet in a
workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:02 -0700, Rima wrote:

When making excel workbooks, I found that excel puts in a lot of extra
programming, therefore making the size of a workbook go up to 25MB. Which
causes difficulty when e-mailing the workbook. A solution found is by
deleting all extra empty cells, yet this is impractical.
Is there a way to clean it up without having to manually erase all of the
extra cells.

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rima

Got it!

Thank you very much for your help Gord! You have been very helpful!!!
Truely appreciated.

Rima