Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EyeGorePS

Default convert a document to one column

I have a document with a list of names. All names are separated by a
space. How do i convert to a single column list in excel?

--
EyeGorePS
EyeGorePS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35744

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

DataText to ColumnsSpace delimited and Finish?

From your description, it is hard to figure out out exactly what you need.

Are the space-separated names in one cell?

What means "single column list" if they are already in one column?

Maybe a small example of your data would help.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:28:14 -0500, EyeGorePS
wrote:

I have a document with a list of names. All names are separated by a
space. How do i convert to a single column list in excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EyeGorePS

The data is in a text file and has not been imported or opened in excel.
The data is: john414 mary556 tim238 etc. I would like to place the
document into excel so that all the names a

john414
mary556
tim238

I am brand new to excel and do appreciate any help.

Thank you!

--
EyeGorePS
EyeGorePS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35744
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=555248

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

"EyeGorePS" wrote
in message ...

The data is in a text file and has not been imported or opened in excel.
The data is: john414 mary556 tim238 etc. I would like to place the
document into excel so that all the names a

john414
mary556
tim238

I am brand new to excel and do appreciate any help.

Gord's Data/ Text to Columns recommendation will produce a row of data.
Select that data, Cut, then Paste Special/ Transpose to give your column.

Another option is to use an editor on your text file, and replace space by
paragraph mark.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

"Etc." always bothers me.

Your example shows 3 space-separated names plus and indeterminte number of names
designated by "etc."

Could there be more than 256 names in a cell?

Text to columns would not work in that case due to column limitations and you
would have to do something with the text before inporting.

If you do get them into rows, you can move them into one continuous column using
this macro.

Sub One_Column()
Dim cell As Range, i As Integer
i = 1
For Each cell In Selection
Range("d1").Cells(i) = cell
i = i + 1
Next
End Sub

Note: I used D1 as start cell only because you used 3 names. I assume you would
have those names in cols A,B,C

Gord