Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default convert a document to one column

"Etc." always bothers me.

Your example shows 3 space-separated names plus and indeterminte number of names
designated by "etc."

Could there be more than 256 names in a cell?

Text to columns would not work in that case due to column limitations and you
would have to do something with the text before inporting.

If you do get them into rows, you can move them into one continuous column using
this macro.

Sub One_Column()
Dim cell As Range, i As Integer
i = 1
For Each cell In Selection
Range("d1").Cells(i) = cell
i = i + 1
Next
End Sub

Note: I used D1 as start cell only because you used 3 names. I assume you would
have those names in cols A,B,C

Gord

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:52:41 -0500, EyeGorePS
wrote:

The data is in a text file and has not been imported or opened in excel.
The data is: john414 mary556 tim238 etc. I would like to place the
document into excel so that all the names a

john414
mary556
tim238

I am brand new to excel and do appreciate any help.

Thank you!