Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sedonovan

Default searching within list

Hi all,

this worked for me yesterday, but I don't know why it won't work now.

Say I'm searchig in a VERY long list (by the way the list is created from a
lookup table) and I want to find names beginning with M - is there a way to
type M into the cell rather than scrolling through the whole list?

Many thanks again
Suzanne
:)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcelo

Hi Suzanne,

did you try autofilter?

regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"sedonovan" escreveu:

Hi all,

this worked for me yesterday, but I don't know why it won't work now.

Say I'm searchig in a VERY long list (by the way the list is created from a
lookup table) and I want to find names beginning with M - is there a way to
type M into the cell rather than scrolling through the whole list?

Many thanks again
Suzanne
:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

one way:
copy data to other sheet and sort it out and see names starting with M
second way:
press Ctrl+F to open Find window, type M* and click on options Look
in select Values and press Find All. But you might need to manually
check for names in second method.

hope this will help.

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sedonovan

hmm not quite what i was after

.....isn't there a way of when you're using a drop down list to look for the
first letter - to save scolling through them all?

"starguy" wrote:

one way:
copy data to other sheet and sort it out and see names starting with M
second way:
press Ctrl+F to open Find window, type M* and click on options Look
in select Values and press Find All. But you might need to manually
check for names in second method.

hope this will help.

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=554923

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sedonovan

ok, let me put it this way (perhaps it was the way I explained it)

The cell contains a long drop down list

To save scrolling to the correct entry I start typing it in the cell and the
matching results come back.

I did it yesterday! I just don't know how!

:)