Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default chop off extra characters in excel

I am looking for a way to remove extra charaters from a number, and
copy it to a new column. Column B is generated from column A. For
example:
A = B
11005656552 565655
11004567754 456775
13117896432 789643

Thanks for you help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tim m

In his sample data he doesn't appear to be including the last digit to the
right but rather the 6 digits to the left of the last number.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=right(A1,6)
--
Gary's Student

" wrote:

I am looking for a way to remove extra charaters from a number, and
copy it to a new column. Column B is generated from column A. For
example:
A = B
11005656552 565655
11004567754 456775
13117896432 789643

Thanks for you help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bsmile29

try =MID(A1,5,7) this will means (text, start_num, num_chars)
Text is the text string containing the characters you want to extract.

Start_num is the position of the first character you want to extract in
text. The first character in text has start_num 1, and so on.

Num_chars specifies the number of characters you want MID to return from
text.

" wrote:

I am looking for a way to remove extra charaters from a number, and
copy it to a new column. Column B is generated from column A. For
example:
A = B
11005656552 565655
11004567754 456775
13117896432 789643

Thanks for you help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Use TTC (Text To Columns).

Select the column of data, then:
<Data <TextToColumns <FixedWidth <Next

Click in the 'Preview Window' to place your "break lines" exactly where you
want them to separate the data,
Then, <Finish.
--
HTH,