Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

Default Restrict cell deletion

how can I protect a sheet so that no one can delete cell or cells,
column and row deletion should be allowed. (without vb if possible).

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mallycat

There are a few options. Tools\Protection\Protect Sheet

To us this, you need to use Format\Cells\Protection to protect (or not)
individual cells. You then turn on/off protection with the
Tools\Protection\Protect Sheet command.

Tools\Protection\Protect Workbook.

This will stop anyone changing the structe of your workbook (including
adding rows etc). You may need to use both.

Matt

--
Mallycat
Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35514

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

I only want to restrict cell(s) deletion from anywhere in the sheet, all
other options should be allowed i-e row and column deletion of insertion
etc.

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553547

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Just curious, but if you will not allow cells deletion anywhere on the sheet,
how can you allow deletion of rows and columns?

Deletion of rows and columns will delete the cells contained therein.

Perhaps there is some other explanation/description of what you want?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:05:33 -0500, starguy
wrote:

I only want to restrict cell(s) deletion from anywhere in the sheet, all
other options should be allowed i-e row and column deletion of insertion
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

infact I have row wise data in sheets if any of cell is deleted all data
is messed up but if complete row is deleted nothing happened wrong.
I explain it by example:
col A.....col B........col C.....col D
Name....Father....Gender...Address

if any cell of col A is deleted, cells below come up and relate to the
right information which is not true. same is the case with cells of col
B, C, and D that if any single cell or some cells are deleted all
information is messed up but if complete row is deleted then its okay.
I hope this will explain my problem to make you understand.

wrote:

I only want to restrict cell(s) deletion from anywhere in the sheet,

all
other options should be allowed i-e row and column deletion of

insertion
etc.

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553547

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

I get your drift now.

Perhaps this might suit. For 2002 and 2003

CTRL + A(twice in 2003) to select all cells.

FormatCellsProtection. Clear the locked button.

ToolsProtectionProtect sheet.

Check your options for selecting locked and unlocked cells, row and column
deletion and insertion and OK.

Click on a cell and the "delete" option is not available although you can clear
contents.

Click on a row header and delete is available for entire row.

Gord

wrote:

I only want to restrict cell(s) deletion from anywhere in the sheet,

all
other options should be allowed i-e row and column deletion of

insertion
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

it worked well but now I cannot use shortcut Ctrl+(+/-) for insertion or
deletion of col or row.
it takes too much time to use menu when I have to insert or delete rows
or cols frequently.
how can I enable shortcut with only options of col and row insertion of
deletion?