Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brad

Default excel cell data won't display on monitor

When I type details into excel cells (numbers, dates, narrative) they are
visible, but in time they disappear - I can see them in the formula bar, but
not on my monitor. I replaced my computer which helped for a few days but
occured again. Then we re-loaded excel, and then used another copy of excel
and it still happens. I have not hidden the cells or did anything related to
the security features available.
Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zone

Are you saying that everything on the worksheet disappears, even though
you can click on a cell and see its contents in formula bar?
When you replaced the computer, were you able to open the same file as
before and see the cell contents?

Brad wrote:
When I type details into excel cells (numbers, dates, narrative) they are
visible, but in time they disappear - I can see them in the formula bar, but
not on my monitor. I replaced my computer which helped for a few days but
occured again. Then we re-loaded excel, and then used another copy of excel
and it still happens. I have not hidden the cells or did anything related to
the security features available.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brad

Oddly enough, only some of the cells disappear in the worksheet. You are
correct, I can see the contents in the formula bar, but not in the worksheet.
So say if cell A1 has this problem and I can't see the contents 'Jan1/01', I
can copy a good cell like D10 over to A1 and retype 'Jan1/01' and it is
visible again. But in a matter of days, the problem happens again.
I thought it might be just the files I created, but 3 of us were sent a file
from a supplier and my excel copy had some cells not visible, while everyone
else here had no problems.
When we replaced the computer, I opened up the files from our server I was
having trouble with. For the first few days, all was fine, but then it
happened again. We since reloaded excel, tried another excel disk, and each
time problem re-appears.

My I/T guys have looked at my problem and gave up.

Brad wrote:
When I type details into excel cells (numbers, dates, narrative) they are
visible, but in time they disappear - I can see them in the formula bar, but
not on my monitor. I replaced my computer which helped for a few days but
occured again. Then we re-loaded excel, and then used another copy of excel
and it still happens. I have not hidden the cells or did anything related to
the security features available.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zone

Wierd. Sounds like the formatting has been corrupted, like the font
has been changed to white or some strange number format that doesn't
work. I'm no expert about viruses, but it sounds like a virus to me.
If so, you are probably getting sent it reapeatedly. I can only wish
you luck!

Brad wrote:
When I type details into excel cells (numbers, dates, narrative) they are
visible, but in time they disappear - I can see them in the formula bar, but
not on my monitor. I replaced my computer which helped for a few days but
occured again. Then we re-loaded excel, and then used another copy of excel
and it still happens. I have not hidden the cells or did anything related to
the security features available.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim

I just discovered something that might apply:
1. select the offending cells.
2. Pull down the Format..Cells menu, select the Alignment tab.
3. deselect "Wrap text" under text control.

that brought the vanished text back in my case. don't know why "wrap
text" is chosen as default. hope this helps you.

Brad wrote:
When I type details into excel cells (numbers, dates, narrative) they are
visible, but in time they disappear - I can see them in the formula bar, but
not on my monitor. I replaced my computer which helped for a few days but
occured again. Then we re-loaded excel, and then used another copy of excel
and it still happens. I have not hidden the cells or did anything related to
the security features available.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you have "Wrap Text" checked? If so, look up the following thread (there
are a couple of different solutions to try). The multiple monitor fix solved
my problem.

Subject: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually
only)
6/7/2006 1:57 PM PST