Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pat

Default Why does Excel not recognize email address?

when I type an email address it should be recognized, but about 1/3 of the
time it does and the rest it does not. If it does not and I right click on
the cell "hyperlink" is greyed out. Any suggestions to solving this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

Try selecting "AutoCorrect Options" from the TOOLS Menu. Then select the
"AutoFormat As You Type" tab. Check the box called "Internet and network
paths with hyperlinks".

HTH,
Elkar

"Pat" wrote:

when I type an email address it should be recognized, but about 1/3 of the
time it does and the rest it does not. If it does not and I right click on
the cell "hyperlink" is greyed out. Any suggestions to solving this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pat

I checked the "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks" was already checked.
This is driving me nuts, because the sheets I am preparing need these as
hyperlinks and I can find no way to fix it.

"Pat" wrote:

when I type an email address it should be recognized, but about 1/3 of the
time it does and the rest it does not. If it does not and I right click on
the cell "hyperlink" is greyed out. Any suggestions to solving this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pat

Tried the mailto:..... and no soap, doesn't work. The ones that do work and
the ones that don't work are all formated the same as "General". I tried the
on several of the addresses.

"JLatham" wrote:

Try typing mailto: in front of one of the entries that hasn't converted to a
hyperlink format and let us know if it remains text or changes to a link.
That will clue us in on how to fix this. For example if you have

change it to

no spaces anywhere in there.

Also choose one of the non-linking entries and choose Format | Cells and see
what specific format is assigned to it - let us know.

"Pat" wrote:

when I type an email address it should be recognized, but about 1/3 of the
time it does and the rest it does not. If it does not and I right click on
the cell "hyperlink" is greyed out. Any suggestions to solving this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham

I don't have the answer for what's causing the problem, but I have what I
would consider as a work-around solution. The following code will convert
entries in a column of email addresses (I'm assuming they are in a column,
not a row) to email links if they don't already contain a hyperlink. While
it's doing that, if you have some typed in and displaying as
it will remove the "mailto:" from the displayed text.
Only change you should have to make to the code is where it starts and finds
end of used range and shows ("A65535") - change the A to whatever column your
email addresses are in.

Then go to the sheet, select all of the cells in the column that you want to
revise and while they are selected, run the macro (Tools | Macro | Macros and
choose it and run it). Here's the code needed to be dropped into a code
module. Not optimized or pretty, but works for me here.

Sub MakeEmailLinks()
'you must have selected the cells to add link to before
'calling this code
Dim EmailAddress As String

'change the column letter to match the one with
'your email address list in it
Range("A65535").End(xlUp).Select

ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate
On Error Resume Next
Do While ActiveCell.Row < 1
ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate
EmailAddress = ActiveCell.Hyperlinks(1).Address
If Err = 0 Then
'already has hyperlink, do nothing
Else
Err.Clear
'does not have hyperlink, make one
'if the cell is not empty
If Not (IsEmpty(ActiveCell)) Then
'handle the ones where "mailto:"
'shows up in the text of the cell
If InStr(LCase(ActiveCell.Text), "mailto:") Then
ActiveCell.Value = _
Right(ActiveCell.Text, _
Len(ActiveCell.Text) - 7)
End If