Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mattgoof2005

Default Protecting single sheets

I have a workbook that is calculating the costs of a project. I want to put
the workbook on a share drive so each employee can update their part, but
obviously I can't have the confidential of employees(like their pay-rate)
available like that. Is there a way to prevent anyone other than myself and
my boss from viewing the sheets with confidential data?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

You can protect the worksheet, assign it a password and then Hide the
worksheet. Perhaps that will work.

Or you could give each user their own individual workbook that contains only
the information relevant for that employee and then you can maintain the
master roll-up workbook that is linked to all of the individual employee
workbooks.
--
Kevin Backmann

"mattgoof2005" wrote:

I have a workbook that is calculating the costs of a project. I want to put
the workbook on a share drive so each employee can update their part, but
obviously I can't have the confidential of employees(like their pay-rate)
available like that. Is there a way to prevent anyone other than myself and
my boss from viewing the sheets with confidential data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham

The safest way is the second way that Kevin B suggested: make a separate
workbook to distribute to people needing to update information. It makes for
more work, but is more certain. Even hiding the columns/rows with that
information in them, or even hiding the sheet cannot stop the end user from
creating a sheet in the workbook or even in another workbook and setting up
references to the hidden cells and seeing the information that way. On
another level, Excel passwords are notoriously easy to 'crack' - I personally
have 3 separate programs that will provide me a usable password to open a
password protected workbook or unprotect a worksheet. It may not be the
original password, but it will be a working password.