Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default worksheet function vs macro

Hello,

I am new to Excel VBA. At my work we need to validate many .txt files
before we upload these .txt files for further processing. Within each
..txt files one 1 line of text contains comma separated values about 1
client. Some columns in this line of comma separated values need to be
validated. In short I would like to have column validation for each row
of data in the .txt file.

I would like to know how to attack this issue the best way. Do I write
a macro with all the necessary code to validate these .txt file entries
(after importing into Excel). So that each time I need to validate a
..txt file I open up the template containing the macro and do a "Run"
macro command. Or do I make use of worksheet functions and build in the
conditional statements that checks for each line (after importing into
Excel)?

Later, I would also like to know if you can generate some sort of error
messaging feature. Like some columns are required data cells and cannot
be omitted. Somehow I would like to have compiled all those error
messages into a new sheet, and once you click on of the error messages
in the new sheet, it it will take you the original sheet to the excact
entry that needs to be corrected. This little project starting to smell
more like a macro.

This sounds to be a big mouthful and some advice for you gurus out
there is very much appreciated.

Thai