Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default distinguishing formula cells

I have a column where most cells are based on a formula; but from time
to time I would override selected cells with a plain number.

Is there a way to automatically show (say with a shading) which cells
in a column are based on formulas and which cells are directly entered
numbers (the ability to do either one is sufficient, but I'd like to
know how to do both) ?

Thanks in advance - its amazing how much help one gets in this ng.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

You could try the elemental "Go To".

Select the range (or the entire sheet) that you'd like to examine.

Hit <F5,
Click on "Special",

Then, click on <Formulas <OK to have all formula cells highlighted,
OR ...
Click on <Constants <OK, to have the other data cells highlighted.
--
HTH,

RD

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a column where most cells are based on a formula; but from time
to time I would override selected cells with a plain number.

Is there a way to automatically show (say with a shading) which cells
in a column are based on formulas and which cells are directly entered
numbers (the ability to do either one is sufficient, but I'd like to
know how to do both) ?

Thanks in advance - its amazing how much help one gets in this ng.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ragdyer wrote:
You could try the elemental "Go To".

Select the range (or the entire sheet) that you'd like to examine.

Hit <F5,
Click on "Special",

Then, click on <Formulas <OK to have all formula cells highlighted,
OR ...
Click on <Constants <OK, to have the other data cells highlighted.
--
HTH,

RD

Thanks that works temporarily(if I click elsewhere the shadings
disappear) ; I want to make the shading of non-formulas permanent. is
there a way to make that happen ?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a column where most cells are based on a formula; but from time
to time I would override selected cells with a plain number.

Is there a way to automatically show (say with a shading) which cells
in a column are based on formulas and which cells are directly entered
numbers (the ability to do either one is sufficient, but I'd like to
know how to do both) ?

Thanks in advance - its amazing how much help one gets in this ng.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Once the cells are selected, as Ragdyer illustrates, you can
click the Fill button on the Formatting toolbar to change the
background color of the cells.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ragdyer wrote:
You could try the elemental "Go To".

Select the range (or the entire sheet) that you'd like to
examine.

Hit <F5,
Click on "Special",

Then, click on <Formulas <OK to have all formula cells
highlighted,
OR ...
Click on <Constants <OK, to have the other data cells
highlighted.
--
HTH,

RD

Thanks that works temporarily(if I click elsewhere the shadings
disappear) ; I want to make the shading of non-formulas
permanent. is
there a way to make that happen ?

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all
may benefit !

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a column where most cells are based on a formula; but
from time
to time I would override selected cells with a plain number.

Is there a way to automatically show (say with a shading)
which cells
in a column are based on formulas and which cells are
directly entered
numbers (the ability to do either one is sufficient, but I'd
like to
know how to do both) ?

Thanks in advance - its amazing how much help one gets in
this ng.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You could use Format|Conditional formatting and a UserDefined Function.

In a General Module:

Option Explicit
Function IsFormula(rng As Range)
IsFormula = rng(1).HasFormula
End Function

Then back to excel and use this in your Format|conditional formatting rules:

Formula is: =isformula(A1)

(If A1 is the activecell.)

" wrote:

I have a column where most cells are based on a formula; but from time
to time I would override selected cells with a plain number.

Is there a way to automatically show (say with a shading) which cells
in a column are based on formulas and which cells are directly entered
numbers (the ability to do either one is sufficient, but I'd like to
know how to do both) ?

Thanks in advance - its amazing how much help one gets in this ng.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson wrote:
Once the cells are selected, as Ragdyer illustrates, you can
click the Fill button on the Formatting toolbar to change the
background color of the cells.

thank you sooo much.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ragdyer wrote:
You could try the elemental "Go To".

Select the range (or the entire sheet) that you'd like to
examine.

Hit <F5,
Click on "Special",

Then, click on <Formulas <OK to have all formula cells
highlighted,
OR ...
Click on <Constants <OK, to have the other data cells
highlighted.
--
HTH,

RD

Thanks that works temporarily(if I click elsewhere the shadings
disappear) ; I want to make the shading of non-formulas
permanent. is
there a way to make that happen ?

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all
may benefit !

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a column where most cells are based on a formula; but
from time
to time I would override selected cells with a plain number.

Is there a way to automatically show (say with a shading)
which cells
in a column are based on formulas and which cells are
directly entered
numbers (the ability to do either one is sufficient, but I'd
like to
know how to do both) ?

Thanks in advance - its amazing how much help one gets in
this ng.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave Peterson wrote:
You could use Format|Conditional formatting and a UserDefined Function.

In a General Module:

Option Explicit
Function IsFormula(rng As Range)
IsFormula = rng(1).HasFormula
End Function

Then back to excel and use this in your Format|conditional formatting rules:

Formula is: =isformula(A1)

(If A1 is the activecell.)

looks a bit advanced for me; I'll file it away and play with it later.
Thanks.