Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Elliott

Default Changing text color usinf a formula (NOT Conditional Formatting)

Is it possible to change the color of text using a formula, such as an IF
statement? What I have in mind is something like this (stated simply): If
cells B9 or N9 or Z9 or AL9 are blank, do nothing, else color text in cell S4
red.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

look in help for conditional formatting
in the formula is box put

=COUNTA(B9,N9,Z9,AL9)=4

click the format button and select font colour and click OK twice

the above means that all 4 cells need to have data for this to happen

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"John Elliott" <John wrote in message
Is it possible to change the color of text using a formula, such as an IF
statement? What I have in mind is something like this (stated simply): If
cells B9 or N9 or Z9 or AL9 are blank, do nothing, else color text in cell
S4
red.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

=COUNTA(B9,N9,Z9,AL9)=4

That will count formula blanks.

Maybe this:

=(LEN(B9)0)*(LEN(N9)0)*(LEN(Z9)0)*(LEN(AL9)0)

Biff

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
look in help for conditional formatting
in the formula is box put

=COUNTA(B9,N9,Z9,AL9)=4

click the format button and select font colour and click OK twice

the above means that all 4 cells need to have data for this to happen

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"John Elliott" <John wrote in message
Is it possible to change the color of text using a formula, such as an IF
statement? What I have in mind is something like this (stated simply): If
cells B9 or N9 or Z9 or AL9 are blank, do nothing, else color text in
cell S4
red.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Elliott

Default Changing text color usinf a formula (NOT Conditional Formattin

Both your reply and Peo Sjoblom's both go some way toward solving this. But
both require ALL 4 cells to be populated. I need a way for any ONE cell of
the four to be populated for the S4 cell to have its contents changed to red.

Or, another way that might be even easier for me in the long ru, would be
this kind of formula:

IF any one of these 4 cells is not blank (B9 or N9 or Z9 or AL9), then
change the text in these four cells (B8, N8, Z8 and AL8) to red.

Thanks for all your help in this. I hope to have this solved soon.

--John

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

If none of those cells contain formulas that might return formula blanks
then use Peo's suggestion like this:

=COUNTA(B9,N9,Z9,AL9)

If those cells might contain formula blanks then use this:

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
macropod

Hi Peo,

The OP wants a solution that doesn't entail conditional formatting.

Perhaps an event-driven macro, such as the following, which could be put in
the Workbook module (if that doesn't count as conditional formatting)?

Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object)
Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer
With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
If .Range("B9") = "" Or .Range("N9") = "" Or .Range("Z9") = "" _
Or .Range("AL9") = "" Then
.Range("G4").Font.ColorIndex = 3
Else
.Range("G4").Font.ColorIndex = 1
End If
End With
End Sub

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Elliott

macropod,

I rather like the macro idea. I'll have to try it tomorrow and see how it
goes.

Biff, I'll keep your suggestions in mind, also.

Thanks, all!

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Just curious, why do you NOT want to use CF?

It's easier and more efficient than an event macro.

Biff