Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GDXAHD

Default Am I thick? lookup from table

I have a simple table with height measurements as the headers and a
value measurement down the left column. At the intersection of the two
figures is the body fat % from the height and value measurement (waist
less neck size). All I want to do is have two entry cells, one for
height the other for value and get it to look up the fat% from the
chart.

I tried the various look up types but they seem to want you to run a
wizard each time or know which column the answer is in. I really want
to make this simple for others to use and not display the table. So
really all that the enterer should do is enter height and value in
seperate cells and let excel find the answer. I thought this would be
easy (I regularly use vlookup for 2 column tables).

Any help is gratefully received.

Steven

--
GDXAHD
GDXAHD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35280

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think you want to use =index(match(),match())

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's instructions:
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html
especially:
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html#IndexMatch2

GDXAHD wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GDXAHD

Thanks to you both. This seems to be what I need. I will know soon
when I try it out. I'll be back if I struggle!

Thanks again.

--
GDXAHD
GDXAHD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35280
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=550643

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan Beban

If the forms of your headers and value measurements are acceptable as
names, it is quite simple. On an Excel spreadsheet the space is the
intersection operator

Hence, highlight your table, click on Insert|Name|Create and check Top
row, Left column.

Then =header1 valuemeasurement3 will return the fat percentage for the
corresponding header and value measurement. And if the header name and
value measurement name are to be entered into Cells M1 and N1

=INDIRECT(M1) INDIRECT(N1)will return the corresponding fat percentage.

Alan Beban