Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joelb

Default importing csv files

so i need to import csv files from a program we use at work, then once
they've imported i have to do this laborious process of deleting and
moving rows and columns, labelling columns and justifying everything.
Is there any way to import the file into a template? something that
would just take the columns i want, discard the rest, label and
justfiy?
I think this would probably save me about an hour a week or more!
Thanks very much for your time,
joel

--
joelb
joelb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35186

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peter Shore

Joel,
if your CSV file always places data in the same cells then you can create a
'template' by using worksheet 1 where you paste the csv data, then you select
the cells you want to use and copy, then go to a second, blank work sheet and
'paste special' 'paste link' into the new worksheet.
Set up the rows and columns in the 2nd worksheet according to the layout you
require. Then - whenever you open a new CSV file, copy all, go to your
'template' sheet 1 cell A1 and 'paste values'. This will automatically also
fill the cells in sheet 2 according to the contents pasted into sheet 1.
You can then select sheet 1, 'Format Sheet' 'Hide' to conceal the csv data
and just leave the formatted sheet visible, save this as a new file name to
leave your template intact.

If you need to take the contents of sheet 2 into another file then you must
'copy', 'paste Special' 'Paste Values' so you only transfer the contents and
not the formulas.

"joelb" wrote:

so i need to import csv files from a program we use at work, then once
they've imported i have to do this laborious process of deleting and
moving rows and columns, labelling columns and justifying everything.
Is there any way to import the file into a template? something that
would just take the columns i want, discard the rest, label and
justfiy?
I think this would probably save me about an hour a week or more!
Thanks very much for your time,
joel

--
joelb
joelb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35186
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=549511

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joelb

hey peter,

thanks for your reply but does that method restrict me to one file
name? I.e. i was just doing what you said and paste special puts the
values for file bia0606.csv in a given cell, but every time i would use
the template it would be under a different file name, and there probably
isn't a good way around that problem?

thanks, joel