Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AE

Default HELP: is there a compare function??

Hi there.
I would like some help in building a spreadsheet up....

what I would like to do is have 2 columns (A&B)

Column A will be called CATALOG NUMBER
Column B will be called PRODUCT FAMILY

I would like to manually enter a catalog number in column A and have
Excel to display the product family it belongs to automatically on
column B.

is it possible? how?

I have between 10-15 product families (ie: screws, connectors,
rawstock, etc)
each product family has 5 to 20 possible combinations ("prefixes") -
only the first 4 letters will define the product family, the rest will
be a numeric secuencial code-

for example the following numbers could be screws:
ABCD001
ABCD099
ACBD001
ACBD099
CDBA234
etc...

the following could be connectors (preffixes like XXZZ, XZXZ, XYZX)
XXZZ001
XZXZ999
XYZX001
etc...

Advice is needed, please help me complete this spreadsheet,
I've used Excel only for its basic (and I mean really basic) functions.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bearacade

Sure there is .. use a mixture of Lookup and left and get your result.

I am going to assume your lookup table is A1:B50 (A1 and B1 are
titles)

=LOOKUP(LEFT(C1,4),$A$2:$A$50,$B$2:$B$50)

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=549077

Excel - need a function to compare lists JerryMatson Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 24th 05 04:09 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Function syntax to compare cell contents ES Excel Worksheet Functions 2 May 18th 05 03:53 PM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM