Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Craig

Default Excel: replace all 2 spaces to FF/LR in column of text

I am dumping a tab-delimited file into Excel 2002 which results in 6 columns
(Title, Assigned To, Due Date, Log). The Log field can be quite long and be
a concatentation of comments from different sources/users. When displaying
in Excel, the comments in the Log field run together (but it appears that the
break point should be where there are two spaces next to each other). I have
tried all I can think of to replace any occurrence of 2 spaces with a
LineFeed and FormFeed (aka ALT-ENTER) ... but with no luck.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

First select only the cells you want to change
Pull-down:
Edit Find and go straight to the Repalce tab
in the Find What field enter two spaces
in the Replace with field USING THE NUMERIC KEYPAD enter ALT-010
then replace all.

ALT-010 means holding down the ALT key and then pressing 010 and only then
releasing the ALT key.

--
Gary's Student

"Bill Craig" wrote:

I am dumping a tab-delimited file into Excel 2002 which results in 6 columns
(Title, Assigned To, Due Date, Log). The Log field can be quite long and be
a concatentation of comments from different sources/users. When displaying
in Excel, the comments in the Log field run together (but it appears that the
break point should be where there are two spaces next to each other). I have
tried all I can think of to replace any occurrence of 2 spaces with a
LineFeed and FormFeed (aka ALT-ENTER) ... but with no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Craig

Thanks for the response ... I tried your suggestion and I get a "Formula is
too long" error message. I am sure to enter " " (no quotes) in the Find
What box and keystrokes ALT (down), numeric pad keystrokes 010, ALT(release)
.... then Replace.

Any ideas ?

"Bill Craig" wrote:

I am dumping a tab-delimited file into Excel 2002 which results in 6 columns
(Title, Assigned To, Due Date, Log). The Log field can be quite long and be
a concatentation of comments from different sources/users. When displaying
in Excel, the comments in the Log field run together (but it appears that the
break point should be where there are two spaces next to each other). I have
tried all I can think of to replace any occurrence of 2 spaces with a
LineFeed and FormFeed (aka ALT-ENTER) ... but with no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

The error message seems to imply that Excel thinks its trying to edit
formulae. Make sure that you are only trying to change text cells.

Text cells can contain many thousands of characters and should be
"edittable" by Find/Replace
--
Gary's Student

"Bill Craig" wrote:

I am dumping a tab-delimited file into Excel 2002 which results in 6 columns
(Title, Assigned To, Due Date, Log). The Log field can be quite long and be
a concatentation of comments from different sources/users. When displaying
in Excel, the comments in the Log field run together (but it appears that the
break point should be where there are two spaces next to each other). I have
tried all I can think of to replace any occurrence of 2 spaces with a
LineFeed and FormFeed (aka ALT-ENTER) ... but with no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Craig

It looks like the problem may be the number of characters in the cell to be
changed. It works fine for cells where the text is 919 characters or less
but generates a "formula is too long" for cells with text of 920 characters
or more.

Any ideas on why the limit or how to get around it ?