Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Candyk

Default drop down then populate

Hi all, please help. I am not sure what I want is possible, any help will be
MUCH appreciated. I have a drop down list....say 8 items 1-8.
Simple drop down so far. Now, each one of these 8 items has a corresponding
"range" of stuff (6 columns wide by 27 rows deep of data) on other worksheets
within the same book.
I want to be able to choose one of the items from the drop down and
when the item is choosen,and displays in the cell as the "chioce" in the
drop down box,
a "range" of cells (G7:L34 for example-named as a range
"number_8_specifications")
automatically fills an area under the drop down box.
(the area on sheet one with the drop down box to fill is the same size as
the source data G7:L34)
I don't know where to begin...
I am greatful for any help and direction.
Candice
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach

Candice
What you want to do is quite common. There are many ways we can do this
so I'll just make some assumptions and show you one way. Say your 8 items
are all "Number_X" where "X" is 1 to 8.
Also say that your 8 areas or ranges are named "Number_X_Specifications with
"X" again being 1-8.
We will use a Workbook_Change event macro to pick up on the change in the
contents of the drop-down cell, and a regular macro to copy/paste. Let's
say that cell A1 is the drop-down cell and the first cell in the area below
A1 is A2. So we want the appropriate range to be copied and pasted to A2.
Those macros would look like this:
If Target.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If IsEmpty(Target.Value) Then Exit Sub
If Target.Address(0, 0) = "A1" Then _
Call CopyData(Target.Value)
End Sub

Sub CopyData(aa As String)
Application.EnableEvents = False
Range(aa & "_Specifications").Copy [A2]
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

The first macro must be placed in the sheet module of the sheet that has the
drop-down cell. You can access that module by right-clicking on the sheet
tab and selecting View Code. Paste that macro into that module.
The second macro goes in a standard module.
If you wish, send me an email with your email address and I'll send you the
small file I developed for this with all the code properly placed. My email
address is . Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH
Otto
"Candyk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Assume the drop down is in cell A1.

Use the named ranges for the selections in the drop down.

Then select a range of cells 6 columns by 27 rows where you want the data to
appear and enter this formula as an array using the key combination of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=IF(A1="","",INDIRECT(A1))

Biff

"Candyk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Leith Ross

Hello CandyK,

To use this macro code the choices need to be the names of the Named
Ranges. I can alter the code if you decide to use more descripitive and
user friendly names. Copy the macro into a standard VBA code module and
then assign the macro to your Drop Down Box. The data from the selected
Named Range will be copied into cells G7:L34 on the worksheet the Drop
Down Box is on.

To Add a Code Module:
1) Copy the macro code to the clipboard using Ctrl + C.
2) Open the Excel Workbook the macro will be used in.
3) Press Alt+F11 to launch the VBA Editor.
4) Press Alt+I to view the Insert Menu.
5) Press M to insert a Module into your Workbook.
6) Press Ctrl+V to Paste the code into the Module.
7) Press Ctrl+S to Save the Macro.
8) Press Alt+Q to Quit the VBA Editor and return to Excel.

Code:
--------------------

Public Sub DropDownMacro()

Dim Choice As String
Dim DestinationRange As Range
Dim DropDown
Dim NamedRange As Range
Dim WksCells As String
Dim WksName As String

DropDown = Application.Caller
Set DestinationRange = ActiveSheet.Range("G7:L34")

With ActiveSheet.Shapes(DropDown).ControlFormat
Choice = .List(.ListIndex)
End With

Set NamedRange = ThisWorkbook.Names(Choice).RefersToRange

With NamedRange
WksCells = .Address
WksName = .Parent.Name
End With

DestinationRange.ClearContents
Worksheets(WksName).Range(WksCells).Copy Destination:=DestinationRange.Cells(1, 1)

End Sub

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--