Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stacey

Default What causes this message?

Hi. I am trying to do a Validation of Data, However when I have highlighted
my cells to validate I get this error message. "The list source must be a
delimted list, or a reference to single row or column".

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

It sounds like you want a data validation drop down list.

As the source for that list you can either enter the values in the source
box separated by commas:

Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur,Fri,Sat,Sun

Or, enter the values in a range of cells that are a single row or column:

A1 = Mon
A2 = Tue
A3 = Wed
A7 = Sun

Then the source would be the range A1:A7

Biff

"Stacey" wrote in message
Hi. I am trying to do a Validation of Data, However when I have
highlighted
my cells to validate I get this error message. "The list source must be a
delimted list, or a reference to single row or column".

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Then the source would be the range A1:A7

More specifically, the source would be: =A1:A7

Biff

"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

It sounds like you want a data validation drop down list.

As the source for that list you can either enter the values in the source
box separated by commas:

Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur,Fri,Sat,Sun

Or, enter the values in a range of cells that are a single row or column:

A1 = Mon
A2 = Tue
A3 = Wed
..

"Stacey" wrote in message
Hi. I am trying to do a Validation of Data, However when I have
highlighted
my cells to validate I get this error message. "The list source must be a
delimted list, or a reference to single row or column".

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stacey

Hi Biff,

I do want a data validation drop down list. However I am putting text in my
drop down and not numbers. Some of my text is long and just wondering do I
get my text to fit my validation box? Do I want to use text length to create
my drop down box with text in it?

Thanks.

"Stacey" wrote in message
Hi. I am trying to do a Validation of Data, However when I have
highlighted
my cells to validate I get this error message. "The list source must be a
delimted list, or a reference to single row or column".

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stacey

Thanks Biff.. I was able to solve my problem with a co-worker walking by...

Have a great afternoon.

Cheeers

"Stacey" wrote in message
Hi. I am trying to do a Validation of Data, However when I have
highlighted
my cells to validate I get this error message. "The list source must be a
delimted list, or a reference to single row or column".

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

The source can be text strings like:

I can try it out and see what happens,yeah that worked out OK,I love this
stuff,I deserve a big raise

If you enter the source as a deliimited list (as above) then the total
number of characters you can enter in that little teenie tiny box are 255.

You'd also have to widen the column of the cell where the drop down is
located to be able to see the entire string like: I can try it out and see
what happens

Biff