Ken

Default when opening excel I receive a message that says file can't be fo.

When I try to open excel, I receive a message that says Files\microsoft.xls
could not be found. Check spelling of the file name and verify that it is
correct. I click ok and then get a message saying Office\office11\excel.exe
could not be found ... with same message. I'm clicking on the desktop
shortcut but this happens even when I go to programs. This started happening
not too long ago and I thought XP might have had problems with my office 97
so I just upgraded to Office Small Business 2003 and have the same problem.
Gord Dibben

Ken

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:15:07 -0800, Ken wrote:

When I try to open excel, I receive a message that says Files\microsoft.xls
could not be found. Check spelling of the file name and verify that it is
correct. I click ok and then get a message saying Office\office11\excel.exe
could not be found ... with same message. I'm clicking on the desktop
shortcut but this happens even when I go to programs. This started happening
not too long ago and I thought XP might have had problems with my office 97
so I just upgraded to Office Small Business 2003 and have the same problem.

Ken

Hi Gord - The Toolsoptions didn't work and neither did tyhe other suggestion
but that is possibly because I was typing it wrong. I know I need to go to
start and run then what exactly do I need to type in the run box? and how do
I type it in ie: C:\Microsoft\office\myexcel.exe unregserverok
Type other info on next line like leave space between exe and regserver.
Thanks

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Try copying and pasting from Gord's original lines:
Windows start button|Run
excel.exe /unregserver
then
excel.exe /regserver