Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mifukhed

Default Ribbon vs. Menus

Now maybe I am being old fashioned, but I prefer a textual view of the menus.
I don't need more wasted space on my monitor, not everyone has a 19-25"
monitor.
Could you inclue an option for normal menus like on XP where yoou can have
classic view or the new view?
In time I might find the things I am looking for, but who has time to do
that when you need to get work done?
Lastly, the mini toolbar is a great option, mostly because anything can go
on it.
But all I want is a long mini tool bar with the items I use, which is how I
used to have my other programs set up.
Forcing users to follow the Microsoft shortcut is not very nice or fair. We
each have our own shortcuts, we should be able to use them or create them.
Thank you,

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Hodge

You've hit on the biggest area of debate... you know you can add icons to
the QAT? (Quick access toolbar), via Office ButtonExcel
OptionsCustomization

Unfortunately, there is no and will be no 'classic' view.

In some defence and mitigation, XL4 had two toolbars, XL2003 had 32! so it
was rare that any user knew they existed. The idea of this release is to
make the production of neat looking documents quick and efficient

Whether they have achieved this...time and users will tell

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"mifukhed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mifukhed

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the input.
I knew abouot the toolbars, and always prefer them, icon only or text, not
both when customizable.
Imagination is in the head, not the keyboard or monitor. I almost feel like
they have made a spreadsheet for kids, and maybe they have. I remember trying
to teach people 20 years ago about Lotus 123, that coding is ingrained in
most people.
Now, 20 years later you want to bring out an artistic palette similar to an
artists palette and tell everyone it will make pretty pictures? Hello! The
next generation of users is way beyond this, or maybe its the opposite, they
can't read and do not have a sense of logic the previous generation had.
Businesses, I would think, find this not even remotely amusing.
As I am testing this for our companies awareness of future
issues/opportunities, I am confounded by my own confusion about this. Isn't
this what Bob was suppsoed to do, make applications simpler?

Bring back a classic view, or else I forsee a Biz partner making huge money
by doing so.
hmm, idea.....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

I totally agree!

Ever since Windows was released each successive version of MS software looks
more and more like a $%^&& video game!

I hate icons!

Biff

"mifukhed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Harlan Grove

Biff wrote...
I totally agree!

Ever since Windows was released each successive version of MS software looks
more and more like a $%^&& video game!

I hate icons!

I don't hate icons per se, but I don't think I'll like the ribbon. I've
just been 'upgraded' to Excel 2003 at work, and I now see what all the
complaining was about with regard to its, er, help system. Thank
goodness I kept copies of the XL8 .hlp files. Having finally used all
the pre-ribbon XL versions, I'll take XL9 (2000). Just like I prefer
W2K. Stability without eyewash, what a concept!

FWIW, since Nick already brought up old XL versions, XL5 came with a
new menu, but it also provided the XL4 menu as an option. FWLIW, the
latest version of Lotus 123 still provides the Classic Menu, the one
accessed by /, and most of the commands in it are still live (one could
question why /FAT... was deprecated, but there are good reasons the
Classic printer setup commands are disabled). If XL12 still supports
toolbars (and my company will have a major upgrade nightmare if it
doesn't), there's no good reason Microsoft didn't/doesn't provide one
with the XL11 menu tree as an option.

FWLIW, my favorite Windows desktop of the past was Norton Desktop,
which I ran under Windows 3.1. Who needs a stinking task bar? Or a
Start menu?

But there's much worse. KDE on Linux systems for one. If only I could
have something like twm under Windows. Bliss!