Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pkeenan

Default Recently Used Files List

I have version 9.0.3821 SP-1 w/2000. The recently used files list is not
showing up under the file menu; however it is for Word (ver 9.0), Viso (Pro
2003, SP-2), Power Point (ver 9.0). The entries are displayed when Excel is
running and a file is opened using other open methods, but once Excel is
closed and re-opened, the list is gone. I have checked the option to display
the list under 'Tools/Options'. I have browsed previous discussion entries
but they do not seem to relate to my situation. I looked in the registry and
found that there are four subkeys for my list - the first has an entry, but
the other three do not. The default does not have an entry.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

maybe...

OFFXP: "Most Recently Used" List Missing from File Menu and "Recently Used
File List" Option Unavailable (Q284896)

Any chance you just turned on TweakUI?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

TweakUI is an unsported piece of software that allows the user to change a bunch
of settings on their pc. These settings are usually associated with the User
Interface (UI) and can be changed by editting the registry.

But since most people don't want to edit these registry directly, TweakUI gives
the user a nice pretty graphical interface to make these changes.

There are different versions for different versions of windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

(There are a bunch of "powertoys" at that link that you may want to
review/download.)

Not excel related, but if you like the things that TweakUI can do, you may want
to look at:
http://www.x-setup.net/

pkeenan wrote:

What is TweakUI?

pkeenan wrote:

I have version 9.0.3821 SP-1 w/2000. The recently used files list is not
showing up under the file menu; however it is for Word (ver 9.0), Viso (Pro
2003, SP-2), Power Point (ver 9.0). The entries are displayed when Excel is
running and a file is opened using other open methods, but once Excel is
closed and re-opened, the list is gone. I have checked the option to display
the list under 'Tools/Options'. I have browsed previous discussion entries
but they do not seem to relate to my situation. I looked in the registry and
found that there are four subkeys for my list - the first has an entry, but
the other three do not. The default does not have an entry.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pkeenan

I don't see TweakUI installed on my system (company computer). Also, the
registry indicates that the files list should display. Shouldn't I be able to
fix this without installing tweak? I even added file locations in the
registry, but when I closed the registry, opened Excel, they still weren't
there. When I re-opened the registry, the files that I added were gone.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

TweakUI is an unsported piece of software that allows the user to change a bunch
of settings on their pc. These settings are usually associated with the User
Interface (UI) and can be changed by editting the registry.

But since most people don't want to edit these registry directly, TweakUI gives
the user a nice pretty graphical interface to make these changes.

There are different versions for different versions of windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

(There are a bunch of "powertoys" at that link that you may want to
review/download.)

Not excel related, but if you like the things that TweakUI can do, you may want
to look at:
http://www.x-setup.net/

pkeenan wrote:

What is TweakUI?

pkeenan wrote:

I have version 9.0.3821 SP-1 w/2000. The recently used files list is not
showing up under the file menu; however it is for Word (ver 9.0), Viso (Pro
2003, SP-2), Power Point (ver 9.0). The entries are displayed when Excel is
running and a file is opened using other open methods, but once Excel is
closed and re-opened, the list is gone. I have checked the option to display
the list under 'Tools/Options'. I have browsed previous discussion entries
but they do not seem to relate to my situation. I looked in the registry and
found that there are four subkeys for my list - the first has an entry, but
the other three do not. The default does not have an entry.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you don't have TweakUI installed, then that isn't the problem.

I don't have another suggestion.

Sorry.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

TweakUI is an unsported piece of software that allows the user to change a bunch
of settings on their pc. These settings are usually associated with the User
Interface (UI) and can be changed by editting the registry.

But since most people don't want to edit these registry directly, TweakUI gives
the user a nice pretty graphical interface to make these changes.

There are different versions for different versions of windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

(There are a bunch of "powertoys" at that link that you may want to
review/download.)

Not excel related, but if you like the things that TweakUI can do, you may want
to look at:
http://www.x-setup.net/

pkeenan wrote:

What is TweakUI?