Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AlCucc

Default Read Only in Excel

Can someone help me with how to change something from read only in excel
2003. I saved this document to my documents and now want to save it to a CD
and it is telling me that it is "read only"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bgeier

Does someone else have the file open when you try to save it to CD?

You can save it to the CD with SaveAs, regardless of whether it is
read-only or not.
If you try to open the file from CD it will always be read-only.

--
bgeier
bgeier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12822

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TKnTexas

That is an Windows thing, it has been around for a long time. Copy the
file from CD (or Save-As) to the hard drive. Close the file.
Right-click on the file and change the property from Read-Only.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AlCucc

It is interesting. I had done the right click thing but when I did and went
into properties it is not listed (the box isn't checked) as read only.
Unfortunately however, it is still read only. Any other ideas?

"TKnTexas" wrote:

That is an Windows thing, it has been around for a long time. Copy the
file from CD (or Save-As) to the hard drive. Close the file.
Right-click on the file and change the property from Read-Only.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bgeier

Ok.......
You checked the file in Windows Explorer and it is NOT listed as
Read-Only?
You CAN open the file, but canNOT save it?

Did you check Tools - Options -Security?
There is a check box about the middle of the window "Read-only
recommended"
Is it checked? This will affect what happens when the file is saved
(File -Save/Save As), should not have an effect on what you are doing,
but worth a look.

--
bgeier
bgeier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12822
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=546026

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AlCucc

Thanks. Checked the tools, options, security thing but within security it is
not listed as read only. Don't know what's going on but it is a mess.
Interestingly enough, this morning I was able to right click the file and
send it to the CD so I have it backed up but somehow it is still listed as
read only.

Al

"bgeier" wrote:

Ok.......
You checked the file in Windows Explorer and it is NOT listed as
Read-Only?
You CAN open the file, but canNOT save it?

Did you check Tools - Options -Security?
There is a check box about the middle of the window "Read-only
recommended"
Is it checked? This will affect what happens when the file is saved
(File -Save/Save As), should not have an effect on what you are doing,
but worth a look.

--
bgeier
bgeier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12822
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=546026

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bgeier

Just out of curiosity, I recall seeing this happen a few times in the
past lifetime, it is rare but a possibility.

Bring up an MSDos prompt (Start-Run-command [or cmd]) type in

cd \ (or if you know the directory it is in cd\directory name)
attrib filename /s (you can omit the /s if you are in the files'
directory)

To the left of the filename you will see some combination of RASH (or
blanks)
If there is an "R" next to the filename it is marked as read only in
DOS.
Windows Explorer should report the same thing, but.....

Like I said earlier, I have only seen this a couple of times in my
experience with Windows, but it has happened.