Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bgeier

Default Read Only in Excel

Just out of curiosity, I recall seeing this happen a few times in the
past lifetime, it is rare but a possibility.

Bring up an MSDos prompt (Start-Run-command [or cmd]) type in

cd \ (or if you know the directory it is in cd\directory name)
attrib filename /s (you can omit the /s if you are in the files'
directory)

To the left of the filename you will see some combination of RASH (or
blanks)
If there is an "R" next to the filename it is marked as read only in
DOS.
Windows Explorer should report the same thing, but.....

Like I said earlier, I have only seen this a couple of times in my
experience with Windows, but it has happened.

--
bgeier
bgeier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12822