Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ben Dummar

Default How do I set up the remainder to display in Excel?

RD,

If you put the following in cell A1 (=1234567/123), is there a way to make
the display in cell b1 look like this (10037 R 16)

Is there a way to display the answer in 1 cell like 10037 R 16

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Gord,

Maybe he's referring to
=MOD(1234567,123)
Which returns 16
OR
=1234567/123
Which returns 10037.13008
Where he's interested in"13008".

RD

"Coffeecoco930" wrote in message
Hello Gord,

Thank you for the information. However, I am working with whole numbers,
not fractions. I will try for example with other math problems, though.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

FormatCellsFractionsType "up to your choice"

e.g. set at "up to 3 digits"

1234567/123 = 10037 16/123

If something else needed please re-post or wait for one of the others to

suss
it out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:59:03 -0700, "Coffeecoco930"
wrote:

I want to be able to display the quotient with the remainder number in

Excel.
Anyone have any idea how to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

What *exactly* is in cell A1?

(=1234567/123)

=1234567/123

1234567/123

Big difference in how to approach this, depending on exact contents of A1.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

wrote:

I want to be able to display the quotient with the remainder number in

Excel.
Anyone have any idea how to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

First of all, the *easiest* way to accomplish this would be to place your
numbers in 2 cells, and then try something along these lines:

A1 - 1234567
B1 - 123
Then, in C1:
=INT(A1/B1)&" R "&MOD(A1,B1)

However, if the actual formula *must* be in A1, you could try this very
convoluted approach:

Start my creating a 'named' formula that will return the actual formula from
A1;

Click in B1, then,
<Insert <Name <Define,
In the "Names In Workbook" box, enter a short name, say
Rem
for remainder.
In the "Refers To" box, replace whatever's there with this formula:
=GET.CELL(6,A1)
Then <OK

What you have now is a 'relative' *named formula* that when entered in *any*
cell, will return the contents of the cell (text, data, formulas) in the
*previous* column.

If
=1234567/123
is in A1,
=rem
on B1 will return
=1234567/123

SO ... with
=1234567/123
In A1, now try this in B1:

=INT(A1)&" R
"&MOD(MID(Rem,2,FIND("/",Rem)-2),RIGHT(Rem,LEN(Rem)-FIND("/",Rem)))

Caveat -

This should be used in XL02 or later.
Earlier versions may crash when copying this type of formula containing cell
to other WBs.
--

HTH,

RD