Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kelly

Default Excel columns are now numbered instead of lettered

Suddenly the columns in my Excell worksheet are numbered, not lettered. My
old worksheets are fine. However, when I open the program to a fresh
spreadsheet or go to this current one, both rows and columns are numbered.
My current worksheet has correct "answers" for formulas, but the actual
formulas are now really weird. Help! I've tried Help, Detect & Repair.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Barb Reinhardt

Try Tools - Options - General
Uncheck R1C1 reference style

"Kelly" wrote:

Suddenly the columns in my Excell worksheet are numbered, not lettered. My
old worksheets are fine. However, when I open the program to a fresh
spreadsheet or go to this current one, both rows and columns are numbered.
My current worksheet has correct "answers" for formulas, but the actual
formulas are now really weird. Help! I've tried Help, Detect & Repair.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kelly

Awesome! It worked. Now I can't help but wonder how in the world that
setting got changed in the first place. It was so weird--I had forwarded it
to other computers and it would be "normal." Thanks so much for your help!

"Kelly" wrote:

Suddenly the columns in my Excell worksheet are numbered, not lettered. My
old worksheets are fine. However, when I open the program to a fresh
spreadsheet or go to this current one, both rows and columns are numbered.
My current worksheet has correct "answers" for formulas, but the actual
formulas are now really weird. Help! I've tried Help, Detect & Repair.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook opened in that session.

If you happen to open a workbook that was saved in R1C1 reference style as the
first workbook in that session, you'll see those numbers.

So you'll want to remember how to toggle this setting.

--

Dave Peterson