Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rudy

Default Using RIGHT function in a VLOOKUP

I have been trying to use the RIGHT function in a VLOOKUP and can not
get it to work. For example if my VLOOKUP is

=VLOOKUP(A16,A8:E8,5,FALSE)

In the range I am looking at I only want to look at the right 2
characters in column A.

If cell A8 is M200612 I only want to look for the 12.

Does anyone know how to do this???

Thanks.

--
rudy
rudy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33911

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Try it as you said it

=VLOOKUP(RIGHT(A16,2),A8:E8,5,FALSE)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"rudy" wrote in message

I have been trying to use the RIGHT function in a VLOOKUP and can not
get it to work. For example if my VLOOKUP is

=VLOOKUP(A16,A8:E8,5,FALSE)

In the range I am looking at I only want to look at the right 2
characters in column A.

If cell A8 is M200612 I only want to look for the 12.

Does anyone know how to do this???

Thanks.

--
rudy
rudy's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545574

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rudy

I actually need to apply the RIGHT,2 condition to the range I am look
at, not the value I am looking for.

Thanks.

--
rudy
rudy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33911
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545574

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I'm confused why you're only looking at one row--but maybe that's a typo in the
newsgroup post.

=INDEX(E8:E15,MATCH(A16,RIGHT(A8:A15,2),0))

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

rudy wrote:

I have been trying to use the RIGHT function in a VLOOKUP and can not
get it to work. For example if my VLOOKUP is

=VLOOKUP(A16,A8:E8,5,FALSE)

In the range I am looking at I only want to look at the right 2
characters in column A.

If cell A8 is M200612 I only want to look for the 12.

Does anyone know how to do this???

Thanks.

--
rudy
rudy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33911
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545574

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Sorry, it's a number, so try

=VLOOKUP(--RIGHT(A16,2),A16,2),A8:E8,5,FALSE)