Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael Link

Default Turn Off Hyperlinks?

I'm working on Excel for Mac. When I type an email address into a cell, Excel
formats it automatically as a hyperlink. I know how to turn this off per
cell, but many different users will be using this sheet, and email addresses
may be typed in many different cells.

Is there a way to simply turn off the auto formatting of hyperlinks
globally, so that email addresses will remain just text?

Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernie Deitrick

Michael,

On the PC, the way to stop that is to use Tools / Autocorrect options.... "Autoformat as you
type" tab, uncheck "Internet and Network paths with hyperlinks"

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Michael Link" wrote in message
I'm working on Excel for Mac. When I type an email address into a cell, Excel
formats it automatically as a hyperlink. I know how to turn this off per
cell, but many different users will be using this sheet, and email addresses
may be typed in many different cells.

Is there a way to simply turn off the auto formatting of hyperlinks
globally, so that email addresses will remain just text?

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael Link

Unfortunately, on the Mac there isn't an option on the Autocorrect menu to
turn off addresses/hyperlinks--only to turn off some textual options (whether
it fixes intial caps or not, etc.) There's also nothing under the Preferences
menu. I wonder if this is just another way in which Excel for Mac is the
quirky, kind of unlikable ******* cousin of PC Excel.