Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Files open only when excel already open

Hi there! Fist post on this group. I have the following situation:

At work, I had an NT box with Office 2000 Pro. Then they gave me a new
box with winXP and OfficeXP (and winfax standalone).

Problem:
When I double click on an excel file, excel opens, but the file does
not open (blank excel screen).

If excel is already open (without any files open) and then I double
click on an excel file (or use the file-open menu), then the file opens
just fine.

Same situation if I try to open and excel file I have received as
attachment in outlook.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Stratos

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Go to Tools/Options/General and toggle the Ignore Other Applications box.

Hope this helps.
Andy.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there! Fist post on this group. I have the following situation:

At work, I had an NT box with Office 2000 Pro. Then they gave me a new
box with winXP and OfficeXP (and winfax standalone).

Problem:
When I double click on an excel file, excel opens, but the file does
not open (blank excel screen).

If excel is already open (without any files open) and then I double
click on an excel file (or use the file-open menu), then the file opens
just fine.

Same situation if I try to open and excel file I have received as
attachment in outlook.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Stratos

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The Ignore check box was unchecked, so I checked it. No luck.

I also tried the following: "explorer, folder options, file types,
..xls, delete"
and then "start - run - excel /regserver". That did not work either.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled office. No luck. Haven't tried Repair
from the help menu yet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Some people have reported that they needed to unregister excel, too.

Saved from previous posts:

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then