Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting error

Hi,

To create an odd/even shaded table I want to use conditional formatting
with the following formula: =isodd(row())

However, this produces an immediate error "You may not use references
to other worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criteria".

I can put this formula in a separate cell and then use =A$5 for the
formula in the conditional formatting dialog and it works fine, but
putting the =isodd(row()) formula always causes this error.

Is this a bug, or is there a real reason I can't use this formula?

(I'm using Excel 2000, ver 9.0.7616 SP-3)

--
fishter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KellTainer

Hi,

I believe it might be a bug of the software, and that the problem is
caused by the isodd() method since I was able to use the row() method
in another workaround solution. It is kind of weird, but I do not have
a explanation for it.

However, there is an alternative to your problem.

Try using

=MOD(ROW(),2)

to be able to format rows which are odd.

For rows which are even, just put the not operator around the above
statement like this:

=NOT(MOD(ROW(),2))

Cheers!

--
KellTainer
KellTainer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34322

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

See:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8e2986e8d90071

--
Gary's Student

" wrote:

Hi,

To create an odd/even shaded table I want to use conditional formatting
with the following formula: =isodd(row())

However, this produces an immediate error "You may not use references
to other worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criteria".

I can put this formula in a separate cell and then use =A$5 for the
formula in the conditional formatting dialog and it works fine, but
putting the =isodd(row()) formula always causes this error.

Is this a bug, or is there a real reason I can't use this formula?

(I'm using Excel 2000, ver 9.0.7616 SP-3)

--
fishter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks to all.

I've gone for the MOD(ROW(),2) route as it seems easiest to me.

--
fishter