Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Takeadoe

Default Convert Hard-coded cell values to constants

Gang -

If you have not guessed, I manage deer - lots of them in lots of
counties. For that reason, I'm trying to automate my population
models. For anyone with an interest, I've placed a file called
ASM Parameters Only Example.xls on our FTP site
(ftp://ftp.dnr.state.oh.us/Wildlife/pub/upload/New%20Folder%20(5)/)
.. If I pique your curiosity with
this note, you'll probably find the file contents much easier to
follow. In short, what I've developed is a simple accounting-style
population model that begins with a known population in 1981 and
attempts to mimic/model/simulate/track the population through time.
The population is composed of 6 age/sex classes. We'll use fawn does
as an example.

The name "accounting" comes from the fact that the model is like a
simple checking account, with simple deposits and withdrawals. As
you might imagine, withdrawals come in many forms - harvest,
wounding and nonreported harvest, winter mortality, and summer
mortality. The only deposit is spring births.

Thus the Fall 1982 fawn population estimate would be derived as
follows: mind you, all of this is being done inside a single cell.

PHFD1982=(((PHFD1981 - (HRVSTFD81*wnrl81))* (1-phmfd))
*reprofd*sexrafd)*summort...

Presently, all of the values in the above equation are actually cell
references - that is they literally point to a cell to grab the
value for that year. This needs to be changed for 2 reasons. With
the exception of PHFD1981 and HRVSTFD81, the others are constant
over the 25-year modeling period, or perhaps change 1 time. The
other reason is ease of fine-tuning. If I want to adjust the
wounding and nonreporting rate, I have to do that in every cell!
That has to be the epitome of inefficiency! What I was hoping to do
was create a bunch of constants that would replace the cell
references in the above formula. This would allow me to easily
change the values across all years from a single place. And this is
where I need some help. I'm not real sure about how to do this.
Any assistance on this would really be appreciated. I'm just looking
for some rough ideas. Again, take a look at the file and you'll get
a much better sense for what I'm doing and what I would like to do.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim M

I tried to get ahold of your sample sheet but IE gave me an error report when
i tried to copy that into my web browser. (Perhaps I'm doing something
wrong.) I'd be interested in looking over the sheet and trying to help out
(I used to work for Alberta Fish and Wildlife and long ago did some elk game
ranching inventory with Lotus.)