Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Blade2304

Default Automatic Sort

Hi

I have a league table (attachment table named 'World Cup League'). It
updates scores as i enter them into a data table that precedes it
(titled 'Games Won'). I would like to be able to automatically sort the
'World Cup League' in descending order every time i enter data into the
'Games Won' table to save me having to sort it every time. Essentially
whenever i enter a number into this table, in any cell, the total
columns change. These totals then transfer into the 'World Cup League'
table and therefore the competitors need sorting into rank order with
most points first. I know i could do this with manually sorting each
time i enter new data but it would be nice if it did it automatically.
Also there may be blank rows in this table so i dont want them to be
included in this sort.Any ideas would be gratefully received as i am
trying to run a competition as a charity event and need to have to do
as little possible to save time. Thank you

|Filename: World Cup.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4781 |

Blade2304
Blade2304's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33492
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=543188

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

There is a way to "effectively" sort a column of numbers automatically. Say
the original numbers are in column A in cells A1 thru A20 (in random order).
In an un-used column enter:

=LARGE(A$1:A$20,1)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,2)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,3)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,4)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,5)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,6)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,7)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,8)
=LARGE(A$1:A$20,9)
..
..
..
down the column. The numbers in the new column will display the numbers in
the orgininal column sorted. As the numbers in column A are changed, the
numbers in the new column will re-adjust.

If you have another column with names, VLOOKUP() can find them.

Please note that tied scores can be a problem.

Have a pleasant day.
--
Gary's Student