Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
iumike2004

Default problem with excel freezing

Several (but not all) of the excel files I work with daily freeze when I open
them. I can't switch b/t worksheets, move the file on my screen, etc.
Usually, if I wait a few minutes, I can work in the file, although they
sometimes freeze again. Any idea on what could be causing this issue?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Abode

There could be many things causing that. I run into a similar problem when
Im writing and testing some Subs. If you received the Workbook from someone
else it may have Macros running it. Try Ctrl + Break (or was it alt...)..
Soemthing like that. Also you might want to check how frequently Excel Does
its AutoRecovery. That always stops me for a few momment every couple of
minutes. If you are working with really big files I wouldn't doubt that it
would take several minutes to run through the Auto Recover.

If you've done some tests to see what might be causing the problem it would
be helpful if you told us about them. Maybe transfer the files to another
computer and see if you have the same problems (Though I would recomend a
virus check first if you have any sus****ion that might be it). Anyway, that
could single out whether it is a computer problem or Excel/Workbook problem.

"iumike2004" wrote:

Several (but not all) of the excel files I work with daily freeze when I open
them. I can't switch b/t worksheets, move the file on my screen, etc.
Usually, if I wait a few minutes, I can work in the file, although they
sometimes freeze again. Any idea on what could be causing this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
iumike2004

Thanks for the suggestions; here's some more info on the problem. I can use
another computer and open and manipulate these files without any problems.
Also, I've discovered that when a workbook freezes, I am able to enter data
into cells on the active worksheet. If I enter a one or two random
characters in a cell, that seems to unfreeze the workbook because then I can
switch between sheets or do anything else I want. I don't think it is an
auto recover issue because it most often happens as soon as I open the file.
Also, it is not a calculation issue (at least I don't think it is) because I
keep all of my files in manual recalculation so that they don't recalculate
as soon as I open them.