Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
left_blank

Default importing from notepad trouble

Hello

I have imported a large notepad document of raw data into an excel 2003
spreadsheet and it came out quite well. However, I can not seem to
perform any formulas with the data that has now been entered into the
worksheet. More specificially, I can not perform an =countif(....)
formula.

If I try my own formula on a worksheet that I hand typed, the formula
works fine. Can anyone help?

--
left_blank
left_blank's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34181

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

It may be that Excel thinks the formulae are actually text. Try the following:

1. Select all the cells and format as general then
2. click on A1 and pull-down:
Edit Find make find what =
replace=

This should refresh all the formulae. Update this post if you still have
problems.
--
Gary''s Student

"left_blank" wrote:

Hello

I have imported a large notepad document of raw data into an excel 2003
spreadsheet and it came out quite well. However, I can not seem to
perform any formulas with the data that has now been entered into the
worksheet. More specificially, I can not perform an =countif(....)
formula.

If I try my own formula on a worksheet that I hand typed, the formula
works fine. Can anyone help?

--
left_blank
left_blank's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34181
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=539437

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
left_blank

Thanks for your help, but it still did not seem to work, would it have
anything to do with me importing from a notepad file?

--
left_blank
left_blank's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34181
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=539437

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

It should not matter. It is important to compare the formula bar to what you
see in the cell. If you see the formula in both places, then Excel thinks
that for some reason the contents are text.

Perhaps you have leading or trailing blanks in the cell along with the
formula.
--
Gary''s Student