Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jws627

Default Cannot open Excel via icon or open Excel spreadsheets sent to me.

I can access Excel through C:\ Program Files but cannot open it using the
icon and cannot open Excel files that I receive as email attachments. Why?
I get Error 1706 messages that say the the application is not available and
that I need to insert Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003 disk, but when I
insert the disk and try to download it I have no success. ???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

This may not work, but won't hurt if it fails....

I'd try reregistering excel:
Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver